Northern California Babies

How can you tell if your water is slowly leaking?

I am really having a hard time figuring out if my water is slowly leaking or if it is just leaking/discharge after losing my MP.  Last night I thought I was leaking water but then realized it was my MP and now today, I am still leaking (some small, small fragments of MP but the other discharge is just clear, odorless discharge). 

I put on a pad to see/monitor it but I am not sure when to think/know that it is actually my water...any ideas?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: How can you tell if your water is slowly leaking?

• I've always heard that amniotic fluid smells sweet. I know the thought of sniffing a pad is a little gross (okay, a lot gross), but it's one of the only ways I've heard of. Also, if you go by your doc's office, they should be able to test the fluid to see and they'll want to know if you're really leaking fluid or not.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers image
  • If you really want to know, you can call your dr. and they have these strips that will test the discharge. ?I was slowly leaking amniotic fluid as well. Woke up at 2 am and my underwear was wet, not soaked, but not normal wet, and I had been feeling generally icky enough that I decided we'd head over to L&D at the hospital to get it checked out, turns out it was amniotic fluid, and while I was there my water broke completely (but not at MY hospital, they didn't want me to leave, so I had to sign AMA papers. What fun!). ?

Anyway, long story short - it sounds like what was happening with me - except I didn't loose my MP. Oh, and I did end up being gross and smelling my underwear to determine it didn't smell at all like urine, just to make sure, before we went in to the hospital. Smile ?
  • Loading the player...
  • Ok...I did it...it doesn't smell sweet or like urine...just odorless.  I guess I'll see if it continues and if it does, I'll go in to the doc and see if they will test it.
  • I think if you call L&D (you have Kaiser, right?) they will tell you to put a pad in, lay down for a period of time, then get up and see if it is wet. I think they had me call them 2 hrs later b/c it wasn't a huge gush and I couldn't feel contractions, then they asked me to come in.

If you go in and they determine your water has broken, Kaiser won't let you go home. I was disappointed b/c I was hoping to "labor" at home for longer.

• imageshnelly:

I think if you call L&D (you have Kaiser, right?) they will tell you to put a pad in, lay down for a period of time, then get up and see if it is wet. I think they had me call them 2 hrs later b/c it wasn't a huge gush and I couldn't feel contractions, then they asked me to come in.

If you go in and they determine your water has broken, Kaiser won't let you go home. I was disappointed b/c I was hoping to "labor" at home for longer.

Yeah, I am hoping to labor at home as long as possible too....I'll try the laying down and see what happens...I am...and have been having period like cramps (mostly continuous) since last night...but cramping has been pretty normal for me in pregnancy.

• imageshnelly:

I think if you call L&D (you have Kaiser, right?) they will tell you to put a pad in, lay down for a period of time, then get up and see if it is wet. I think they had me call them 2 hrs later b/c it wasn't a huge gush and I couldn't feel contractions, then they asked me to come in.

Not if you sign AMA! Wink ?They can SAY you can't leave, but that can't chain you down, or force legal action on you for leaving. mauahahah

Oh, and I forgot to mention too, I didn't smell anything sweet - just odorless like you?mentioned. ?

• imageshnelly:

Ditto, I think they say to lay down for like 20 minutes and if when you stand up you feel a rush of fluid than it's likely amniotic fluid, if not than it's just "normal" fluid.

GL

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"