Breastfeeding

No breast growth/changes in pregnancy, but successful EBfing?

Hi ladies,

Just wondering if any of you didn't really have any breast changes during pregnancy, but still went on to be successful exclusive breast-feeders?

This is my second pregnancy and is no different than with my first. ?With my first, my boobs didn't get any bigger (not really at all--wore the same bra before, during & after pregnancy), almost no breast tenderness, no leakage prior to delivery, etc. ?Then, I never really produced enough milk (i.e. never got engorged, milk never really "came in"--still not producing any after 5 days)--then, when pumping, I never produced more than 1/2 ounce (total with both breasts).

?So, we know I produce milk, but it certainly wasn't anything like the way all the doctors, lactation consultants, bfing books, etc. said it should be happening. ?

Now that I've been through it once, I know there are some things I can try differently this time, but I just wondered if there were any of you out there who also didn't experience any breast changes, but still went on to be successful....

If so, I'd love to hear your story! ?Thanks!?

Re: No breast growth/changes in pregnancy, but successful EBfing?

• I have small boobs that didn't change at all during pregnancy (or leak) and I've been EBF since dd was born with out any issues (I actually have an over supply). I hope that bfing goes well for you.

Clomid M/C 8 weeks 2/08 *IVF #1-DD born 3/09
    *Surprise BFP-T18 baby lost at 13w 1/10 *FET #1-DS born 2/11
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • My breast size didn't change during pregnancy and they were never tender nor did they leak.

My milk came in on day 3 and I have been able to successfully EBF since then. When I pump (twice a day) I get anywhere from 3-6oz per breast.

Hopefully you will have better luck this time!!

• Loading the player...
  • I was a small A pre-pregnancy - they never grew much, were never tender, and they never leaked while I was pregnant.  My milk came in within 36 hours and if anything I ended up with an oversupply.  Plus, I leak like crazy now.
  • a lot of people seemed to go up a few cup sizes, but i only went from a D to DD, and never leaked at all, but BFing has been great so far (fingers crossed!). good luck!

• My itty bitty titties didn't change for any of my 3 pregnancies and I breastfed my first two DDs for almost 14 months each and so far all is going well with DD3 also.  SIZE DOES NOT MATTER!!!!!!!!!  =)
  • You sound just like me - so I'm hoping you get some positive feedback...  I *really* wanted to EBF, but have never had enough milk so we supplement heavily with formula...  I've tried More Milk Plus, Reglan, lactation cookies, and extra pumping with no success.

My lactation consultant thinks I have hypoplastic breasts - when I googled that term, I found a study somewhere that said you might get better supply by getting progesterone therapy during your pregnancy.  I also read that you can start taking Reglan in your 9th month in preparation, so you might want to look into that - too late for me though.

• imageMrsL1012:

You sound just like me - so I'm hoping you get some positive feedback...? I *really* wanted to EBF, but have never had enough milk so we supplement heavily with formula...? I've tried More Milk Plus, Reglan, lactation cookies, and extra pumping with no success.

My lactation consultant thinks I have hypoplastic breasts - when I googled that term, I found a study somewhere that said you might get better supply by getting progesterone therapy during your pregnancy.? I also read that you can start taking Reglan in your 9th month in preparation, so you might want to look into that - too late for me though.

OMG! ?I just looked it up and that is totally me! ? Other than one being way larger than the other, I have EVERY other sign--they're flat (never been round--look like flat triangles that jet out of my body)& widely spaced, never felt full even when I was nursing, my milk never came in, etc. etc. etc. ?Now, I sit here bawling my eyes out wondering why no dr. or lactation consultant ever even suggested that. ?So frustrating!

I will definitely be talking to my dr. at my next appt to see if there is something we can do....

Thank you SOOOOO much for posting this.?

• I've been successfully breastfeeding (no supplementing) for almost two years.  I went from a D to a DD after delivering, but only for the first few months.  The only times I ever felt "engorged" like everyone else described was the day my milk came in and once when I had a clogged duct.  Although I can tell when my breasts are full now that I regularly miss nursing sessions, they never felt/feel significantly different on the outside (at least not to me!).  I never leaked.  Ever.  And even when DD was several months old, I couldn't pump more than an ounce at a time from both breasts; even with a hospital grade pump.  The one significant change I have is that my areolas get darker during pregnancy. 

Could you talk one-on-one with an LC? You can also weigh your LO, nurse, and then weigh LO again.  That will give you a better idea of how much he/she is getting at a session, because remember, they are much more efficient at getting the milk out than the pump.   

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"