LGBT Parenting
Options

SIL shares more info than I want her to

*Preface: Our close family knows that we will be TTC in a few months*

Last night DW and I were at my In-Laws having dinner with close family and 2 members of extended family whom we are not close to. My FIL asked if I was pregnant because I was not drinking, to which I said "no". My SIL chimed in and said " well not yet!". My MIL then begins asking how I am going to get pregnant and both DW and I dont really answer. I begin to open my mouth to say something to the effect of " we prefer not to talk about this" but my SIL jumps in and begins to tell the details of how it is done and what we have had to do etc etc. I told her that Id prefer not to talk about it and she stopped. She has done this a few times before and I am never sure how to ask her to stop telling people the details of our live and leave it up to us to share info ( if at all) with people. Any ideas or suggestions would be helpful!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: SIL shares more info than I want her to

• Options
    imagemsjcordova:

She has done this a few times before and I am never sure how to ask her to stop telling people the details of our live and leave it up to us to share info ( if at all) with people.

I think you tell her just like that. 

Sounds like she would be respectful of your wishes (since she stopped sharing when you said you prefer not to talk about it), but just doesnt know what her boundaries are.  I'd just sit her down and say "SIL, I'm glad we were able to share our plans with you and that you are excited/supportive, but I'd like you to keep discussions just between us.  If and when we decide to share the journey with other people, I'll let you know".

• Options

It sounds like she's really excited for you guys and really looking at what you'll be doing to get pregnant. That's a good thing. However, the over-sharing with others... not so much.

I would suggest just sitting her down and saying plainly, "We love how excited you are for us, but we would prefer that not everyone know the details of our TTC. Please leave it to us to answer these questions in the future."

Like CT said, since she stopped right when you asked, that seems like a good sign that she will hopefully accept this decision. 

Maybe I don't have a heightened sense of smell, but I've never smelled any vagina on my pants. -- TSD

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Bloggity Blog - You know you want to...
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"