Nurseries and Baby Gear
Options

Direct Buy

For those of you that have a membership to Direct Buy- How much did you save by having the membership?  We have a warehouse close and just wondering if it would be worth it to join.  In the next 2 years we'll probably also need a new dining room set and have been talking about changing around the guest room with a futon and desk so we don't have to put our desktop in the basement.  I'm thinking it might be a good time to check it out but contacted them once and they were very annoying and pushy.  Let me know about your experiences if you don't mind.  Thanks!
Krissy and Craig
Mr. & Mrs. as of May 23, 2009
Parents to Baby Jack as of March 4, 2010
and Bobbi Claire June 7, 2012

Re: Direct Buy

• Options
    I briefly looked into this. The membership fee is $5,000! Plus, I read a lot of bad reviews on them. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    We belong and have saved thousands.  They have a huge selection of quality baby furniture, Dutailier, Little Castle rocker/gliders, Stanley "Young America" collection, I could go on and on.  We joined 5 years ago and used them for the materials for our kitchen remodel...so worth it.
  • Options

i have heard it truly depends on the amount you will be spending to know if it is worth it.

• Options

We're a member of direct buy and we regret joining them. we paid 5000 for 3 yrs membership and if we want to continue we have to pay 200/yr. We joined because we just bought a brand new house and we needed to buy lots of furniture. I would say that we bought lots of stuff from them but to get $5000 saving in 3 yrs is hard. They do have a lot of brand selection, the more expensive the brand the more you save.

We bought bonavita metro crib & 6 drawer dresser for 950 incl. shipping & taxes. I think we save at least a couple of hundred, and we also bought peg perego  stroller from them for the total of 230. We also bought bedroom set, blinds, fridge, coffeemaker, king mattress & fitness equiptment from them, and we only save around 2500 and we have 1 yr left to recover the other 2500.

Not everything they sell is cheaper. For example, they also carry storkcraft products. After shipping and handling, I found that it is cheaper to get the same product from walmart.com with free shipping.  But they also carry high end product, and thats where your start saving. They carry lots of european product. If you llike high end stuff then direct buy will save you money, but if you like bargain then it is hard to recoup your initial fee.

One thing you should consider is the fact they charge for shipping and handling. Shipping is based on the weight, so the heavier the furniture the more you pay. and handling based on the price. It took me awhile to get the "formula" and of course you still have to pay for taxes. And most of the time you have to pay more to have it deliver to your house because they only deliver to the warehouse.

I think its worth it if you're a builder coz they also sell hardwood, tiles,cabinetry etc. 

And also they are pushy, and they will make you decide right then and there. They don't let you have a day to think it over and they will say you only have 1 chance to become a member. 

My advice to you is that, first I heard you might be able to bargain. I don't know how much truth in that but you can always try. Try to talk to another member after the presentation. Ask the sales person if you can, talk to current members in the center. Try to talk to a couple of people so get to feel on how much people really save.

Hope this helps.

• Options
    Thank you all for your comments!  It definitely helps!  I will have to see what my local one charges because I thought it was around $3,000 I just didn't know how much I would use it to save it.  We are going to be finishing our basement, replacing carpeting, and buying multiple pieces of furniture so it might be worth it.  I will talk it over with my husband and we'll see. I am sure he will think I'm crazy but it might be a good deal for us.  Thanks again!
    Krissy and Craig
    Mr. & Mrs. as of May 23, 2009
    Parents to Baby Jack as of March 4, 2010
    and Bobbi Claire June 7, 2012
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"