3rd Trimester
Options

Metamucil vs. Miralax (Quite possibly a dumb ?)

What is the difference between the two and is one better than the other?

TIA... Embarrassed

imageLilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Metamucil vs. Miralax (Quite possibly a dumb ?)

• Options

I can't answer that question but will tell you that my MW recommended Benefiber. It totally dissolves in liquid -- no nasty grit. And it seems to be working. Embarrassed

ETA: And I see you are close to your due date. I don't know if this is your first baby but I can promise you that this is something to get worked out ASAP. You don't want to be constipated after giving birth. BTDT and it is not fun!! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Not sure but I'm in the hospital and they are giving me metamucil if that helps at all.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

imageDana127:
    Not sure but I'm in the hospital and they are giving me metamucil if that helps at all.

Ooh, good luck!!!

• Options
    Metamucil is fiber, which you would take daily to help you to become regular.  Miralax is a laxative, which you would just take one to two doses and then you will have a bowel movement.  So Miralax will work within a day and Metamucil will work over time. 
  • Options

imageElleI:
    Metamucil is fiber, which you would take daily to help you to become regular.  Miralax is a laxative, which you would just take one to two doses and then you will have a bowel movement.  So Miralax will work within a day and Metamucil will work over time. 

Thank you for this explanation!! I looked it up on Google and was still unclear about the difference between the two. I knew they both helped with pooing! ;)

• Options
    Metamucil is ok, but take it from a girl with IBS, Benefiber is much better. It is also fiber, but it works within a few days, and you can take it daily. And, it doesn't taste like anything. 
  • Options

i'm pretty sure you can not take miralax while you are pregnant.  metamucil works very well to help your BMs stay regular.  benefiber doesn't work as well because it is too soluble.  you need that gritty fiber unfortunately to keep you going.

• Options

I was only on prescription Miralax when I got pregnant for IBS. Dr told me not to take it. I begged when I hit second trimester when nothing else was working and she let me. She looked it and found no evidence it was harmful, but there hadn't been enough studies to say it wasn't either. I would try something else first.

imageimage
    Matilda 6/19/09
    Graham 10/25/13
  • Options
    imagemegsok11:

i'm pretty sure you can not take miralax while you are pregnant.  metamucil works very well to help your BMs stay regular.  benefiber doesn't work as well because it is too soluble.  you need that gritty fiber unfortunately to keep you going.

Miralax is on the "Approved" list of OTC drugs I can take from my OB's office. At certain point, (according to my doctor) too much fiber can actually make the situation much worse. Your abdomen is sore and distended (I've been there)- for me it got so bad I had to get an x-ray and see a gastroenterologist. (I was not pg at the time)... She told me to STOP taking any fiber or flaxseed or Metamucil. She recommended Miralax and it was the only thing that worked. It is non habit-forming (unlike other laxatives) and can be taken every day if needed (at least when not pregnant). I wouldn't take it every day while pg without talking to your doctor...but like I said- Miralax is on the "approved" sheet of drugs from my OB's office, so you could definitely take it occasionally.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"