LGBT Parenting
Options

Would you deliver at a religious hospital?

Would you (or did you) deliver at a religious hospital? If so, was it the same faith as you practice?  What specific questions did you ask them about their LGBT policies? (Like, will your medical power of attorney be recognized, or will your partner be given a parent wrist bracelet for the nursery, etc).

**By the way - when I use "you" I mean you or your DW.  I realize not everyone is board is the birthmom but I'm including you in the "you" - lol **

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Would you deliver at a religious hospital?

• Options
    we are, yes. we didn't ask specific questions, but only because another lesbian couple we know gave birth at the same hospital with the same ob so they had already done the legwork. they had an amazing experience, and it's the best hospital for us in terms of location. we've taken all of our classes there, too, and had no problems.
  • Options

We delivered at a Catholic hospital and had no problems.  We didn't ask about LGBT policies, but I knew a lot of lesbians have delivered there and had good experiences. And based on my knowledge of hospitals, your experience is going to based on your experience with  individual people rather than hospital policies.)

We had out POA with us when we went to deliver and asked them to put a copy in my chart - but we'd of done that with any hospital.

FWIW - I used to work in an 7th Day Adventist Hospital (I am not Adventist)  and saw no differences in patient care/policy vs non-religiously affiliated hospitals I have worked in. Well, okay there was a morning prayer/devotional on the intercom speaker at 9a/5p, and for a long time they didn't serve meat in the cafeteria...but we had several same-sex parents with children in the hospital and it was never an issue.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Not unless it were our only option.  We are not members of any religion and would not feel comfortable.

Mrs._F
    sahm ~ toddler breastfeeder ~ cloth diaperer ~ baby wearer

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    FWIW - Aside from the crucifix in our room, you'd of never known it had a religious affiliation.  There was no literature, no chaplains, etc.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Options
    We didn't feel comfortable.  An ob was recomended to us but she delivered at a catholic hospital and we didn't want to go there.  Not that I delivered at the hospital we chose anyway.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

image2brides:
    FWIW - Aside from the crucifix in our room, you'd of never known it had a religious affiliation.  There was no literature, no chaplains, etc.

this. there aren't any symbols in our hospital at all, acutally, other than a sign on the wall in the main lobby with the hospital's religious denomination logo, surrounded by a cross, an "om" symbol, the muslim crescent and a few other symbols from other religions that i'm not remembering off the top of my head.

• Options
    We will likely end up delivering at a Catholic hospital. We don't have much of a choice, since we want a good NICU and a hospital that we can get to within an hour and this hospital is pretty much the only one that fits both of those criteria. We'll take all precautions (in terms of paperwork, etc.), and will have a SS-knowledgeable family lawyer on speed dial in case we run into any trouble. 
    married 03/08/08 -- ttc with PCOS (dx 2005) & DS
    IUI #3 gave us the best 2nd anniv. gift ever: 2 babies! (born 03/09/10)
    Peanut and Little Man are getting so big! 2 years old already!
    finally blogging again at This Will Be: An Adventure
  • Options

Nope, but I hope not to deliver in a hospital at all and in Seattle most of the big ones that have maternity services are non-religious. The reasons we wouldn't are mostly because C doesn't like hospitals and has bad experiences with religious institutions (twelve years of Christian schooling) so the combo would be too much.

In my home town though, the best hospital is loosely Catholic and if we were visiting while pregnant and needed to go in an emergency I wouldn't hesitate.

Met 07/07/05, Wedding 07/07/07, Legal Marriage Ceremony 12/9/12, Baby Boy Born 08/09/13 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I had always wanted to give birth at a birthing center but I am sure by the time I have a baby I will be risked out of that option. As far as hospitals go, I would as long as they treated us with respect and followed the DP laws in our state. The hospital with the best NICU is religious and if, G-d forbid, we ever needed it I would run there, crosses or not, and we are Jewish!
  • Options
    While I hope to not deliver in a hospital at all... The hospital in the same system as my PCP is religious, but is really good. I've had 2 outpatient surgeries and they have always been very welcoming and nice to Holly and respectful of her role. They also have never pushed religion; in the admitting paperwork there is a form that asks if you would like any religious support, and I check No, and they've never "forgotten" my preferences or anything.  So I think that yes, I would feel comfortable with that aspect of a hospital birth.  It is a little uncomfortable to walk around the wrong corner and find the huge religious mural or whatever, but that's easily avoided.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"