3rd Trimester

2016 Olympics in Chicago

This has been a huge deal on the news by me since we're about 2.5 hrs out from Chicago and they think we'd be a good training area for the athletes.

What do you think about Chicago getting the bid? They are suppose to decide today...

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: 2016 Olympics in Chicago

• I think Rio will get it....from what I saw on the news they are making a HUGE bid for having the first Olympic games in South America.  Sorry Obamas and Oprah...you can't buy everything!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • imageDarrenandHana:
    I think Rio will get it....from what I saw on the news they are making a HUGE bid for having the first Olympic games in South America.  Sorry Obamas and Oprah...you can't buy everything!

Did the Obamas and Oprah bribe the Olympic committee? I guess I missed that on the news....

• Loading the player...
  • I heard one person say they believe that the decision has already been made.  Who knows....

• imageStephanie586:

imageDarrenandHana:
    I think Rio will get it....from what I saw on the news they are making a HUGE bid for having the first Olympic games in South America.  Sorry Obamas and Oprah...you can't buy everything!

Did the Obamas and Oprah bribe the Olympic committee? I guess I missed that on the news....

Haha....no, just a bitter Republican here...

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • No

I'm for Rio

• imageStephanie586:

imageDarrenandHana:

Same here!

I would love it to be in the U.S., but I do hope that Rio gets it for the reasons PP stated.

• I love the Olympics, and I look forward to both winter and summer games. I would personally like Rio to get it, though. I think it would be so cool to see Rio on TV, since I will probably never go there myself. Chicago is lovely, but I've been there. :D
  • I don't think Chicago will get it, but it would be pretty cool. 
  • imageDarrenandHana:

Haha!  Love it!

I hope Chicago doesn't get it.  I don't know why other than for selfish reasons (like we'd stay away from the city during that time, and I don't want to stay away, we enjoy our day trips there), and being only an hour away, it's bound to filter down to us and that will be a pain. 

• We are in the burbs of Chicago, and we are hoping for it. My brother works in construction in the city, and this will help with job security for him. DH also has a 55 mile commute with no public transportation available. If Chicago gets the bid, they will be making improvements to the rail system that will directly benefit our small town. We are very much in support, and this is coming from a republican!
  • I think Rio is going to get the bid. The Olympics have never been held in South America. Chicago would be great and all, but I think they'll come in second.

And I'm sorry, but Obama is going to look like an a$$ if Chicago doesn't get the bid. I really hope he had some official business to take care of while he was over there, and not just being a cheerleader for Chicago.

• While it would be nice to have it in the US, I feel like we had Atlanta and Salth Lake City in recent years. Since the Olympics are an international showing, it'd seem fair to have another area represented. I think Rio would be a good choice. Plus, selfishly, the time zone difference won't be too bad, I'll be able to catch alot of the events.

• imagegetnmarried910:
    !

I hope Chicago doesn't get it.  I don't know why other than for selfish reasons (like we'd stay away from the city during that time, and I don't want to stay away, we enjoy our day trips there), and being only an hour away, it's bound to filter down to us and that will be a pain. 

I lived in Atlanta when we had the Olympics. Traffic was actually better during the Olympics! Business allowed employees to work from home, locals and visitors used public transportation. It was pure bliss for those of us who had to drive into the city. FWIW it provided a ton of jobs and made a huge improvements in the city. The Olympics may only last 2 weeks but  leaves a lasting impression on locals and visitors alike. Being so close to the action will allow you be a part of history. We were able to attend 4 events because we we so close to all the action (we lived an hour away). It was a summer I will never forget. The overall economic impact is a huge plus as well.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Ha ha...money can't buy everything Oprah!
  • We are about 15 min from the city.  I hope we get it, and I think we will.  IT will be great for the city, for us and for out kids to experience something like this.  Rio has so much crime and does not have the money that is needed.
  • I'm from Vancouver and although we haven't had the Olympics yet, we've already been feeling the benefits.  Everywhere in North America has been hit really hard with the recession and we are in what we call 'the Olympic bubble'.  I honestly don't know one person that has lost their job in the last few years.

I do think that Rio will probably get it only because the US has had both Salt Lake City and Atlanta recently.  I don't know what the bids look like, but if Rio's isn't very good and doesn't seem sustainable Chicago could probably get it.  Good Luck

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"