Washington Babies

Seattle home birth? Midwife suggestions? Birthing classes?

A few nights ago I watched 'The Business of Being Born' with my husband, and ever since we have been seriously considering either a home birth (or if I chicken out a birthing center) versus giving birth in a hospital. I NEVER thought I would go this route (I made fun of my sister in law for giving birth in her basement in a kiddie pool)...but the more I learn, the more I'm leaning this way.

Has anyone done a home birth? Do you have any suggestions for midwives that are amazing (or how to find good ones, period versus just relying on Google)? How about birthing classes? We're considering the Bradley Method, but can't seem to find any classes on the Eastside - is there one that any of you have gone to that was very helpful?

If I do chicken out on the home birth, what birthing centers on the Eastside are good? I've only found two so far - are there more?

I had no idea how many questions this potential change would bring up, but I am full of questions with no answers! Anyone that is knowledgeable in this area I would REALLY appreciate any info you can pass along.

And please - no flamers. I realize a lot of you will think I am crazy for considering a home birth, so consider your opinions already spoken (my mother will do enough talking for all of you if we decide to go this route!) Smile

PS - if you haven't seen 'The Business of Being Born' I highly recommend you watch it. Even if you want to give birth in a hospital and get an epi, it would still be valuable so you can be knowledgeable about the process and what typically occurs in that situation. You'll feel much more empowered while you go through the process!

Re: Seattle home birth? Midwife suggestions? Birthing classes?

• Really? No replies? Sad
  • I had DS at Eastside Birthing Center. I really loved it there and if/when I have a 3rd child I will be using them again (but at my home, we lived in an apartment when DS was born.) Not sure about classes but I am sure the midwives will have some information for you.
    Mama to Z - 5.5 years, G - 3.5 years, & M - 1.5 years.
  • Loading the player...
  • Hi there! We're very nice here, but might take a few times of posting to warm up to newbies...sometimes if people introduce themselves and are active it really helps. Or you might have just posted when everyone went to lunch...don't take it too hard. And I'll reply. Smile

I adore that movie, and I used it as my own personal cheerleader. Home births can be wonderful, and I leaned that way until I realized that my home was not comfortable enough for me (crazy neighbors and a dog that wouldn't shut up), so we opted for a birth center attached to a hospital. I don't have any recommendations for a midwife, although my photographer did a home birth in a pool and caught her little boy herself.

My first choice for a birth center is Puget Sound Birthing Center. I had a really bad experience with a free-standing birth center in Everett when I miscarried, and despite not being a client of theirs, the staff at PSBC was very kind to us. I would have gone there in an instant had drive time (I live in Marysville) not been a factor.

Hope you stick around an post more...I'd love to hear more about a home birth experience.

Married! | July 15, 2005 | It's a Girl! | January 31, 2009 | It's a Girl! | July 21, 2011
    Heavens to Murgatroyd Blog
    Unofficial Baby Names Sticky Note: New and Old| Local Bumpie Website image
  • Thanks for the feedback ladies!!!! I'll definitely keep everyone updated as we move through this journey. We have an apt with our original OBGYN today and I'm much too impatient to cancel it and wait until I find a midwife so we'll be going there today and try to find a midwife by next month.

We thought about Puget Sound Birthing Center, but it's in Kirkland...and we're in Issaquah and I just can't see driving that far when I'm in stage 2 of labor. I seriously doubt I will want to get dressed to leave the house. But I have heard wonderful things about it. 

BTW, I have never really introduced myself either! I am originally from a super small town in MO - my husband and I moved out here almost two years ago. We've been married two and a half years and LOVE Seattle. I own my own business (was work from home, but recently expanded a LOT and have an office and 5 employees) so I'm trying to balance that growth with my belly growth!!!

Hope to get to know all of you better during too!!!

• Cool, congrats on your growing business!

Have you checked out Penny Simpkin? My birth classes were based on some of her material, and she's probably the most popular midwife in the area.

Married! | July 15, 2005 | It's a Girl! | January 31, 2009 | It's a Girl! | July 21, 2011
  • Ohhh I was looking at her website for her classes, didn't realize she also did midwifery. I'll be giving her a call. thanks!!!
  • Hi! I had ds at PSBC last year and they are awesome. We drove from Everett, and it really isnt that far. To me its worth it. You also dont need to be in transition stage to head to the birth center, just go when your contrax get close together. I talked to them A LOT on the phone before I went in, and didnt have to do the miserable car ride there. 

Anyway... if you want to do a home birth, I would highly recommend Erin Curtiss, she delivered ds as a "sub" at the birth center. She was amazing!! Her website is:

https://www.seattlehomebirth.vpweb.com/

Feel free to page me if you have questions! and Congrats! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Well huh. I just went to Penny's site and it only mentions doula. Sorry about that...I might have gotten it confused.
  • Yeah, I don't think Penny is actively working as a midwife, but she is FANTASTIC!  We took her birth class and she is really wonderful.  Sign up as early as you can...and she has a specific class for non-hospital births.  She is worth driving in from Issaquah. 

Ditto pp about Puget Sound Birth Center.  Also totally worth the drive.  I made the trip there from Lynnwood at 8 cm dilated!  I love that place and we had such a wonderful peaceful birth.   At least make an info appt with them and see how you feel.  Their midwives will come to your home (for the birth) if you can't make the trip!

Congrats on  your pregnancy!  I also decided on a non-hospital birth after watching that movie.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Thanks ladies! Definitely following up on every resource mentioned! I'll keep everyone up to date on what we decide to do.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"