Baby Names

Difficult to pronounce/spell names

I personally am not a fan of these, primarily because the poor child will have a lifetime of correcting people, mispelled official documents, and just the dreaded "My name is X"  "huh?"  Which is annoying.  We have a difficult to pronounce/spell last name so I'm already getting a taste of this life--and it blows. 

But we've picked a girl name that I love (not ready to share just yet) and my fear is that people will (understandably) mispronounce it.  I just think it's sooo pretty, but it's similar to another name--it's not a youneek spelling, or really difficult to pronounce, it's just a different spelling and pronunciation altogether. 

We don't know what we're having yet (see my earlier post and pray it's not a boy), so I'm trying to detach from the name, but I'm just wondering if I should take my own advice and think about the child and the frustration she might have to endure.  Then again, she might like having such a pretty, "you don't hear that everyday" type name.

Re: Difficult to pronounce/spell names

• Its really hard to say one way or another without knowing what you have picked out...
  • Personally I think you should go with the name you love. It may be more complicated at first but once people know the name, there is no problem. We are using Graeme instead of Graham because we want to honor the family heritage, not made up but different and difficult to pronounce at first. Your child will not be scarred.
    "Normal day, let me be aware of the treasured day you are. Let me learn from you, love you, bless you before you depart...let me hold you while I may."

TTC #1- unexplained...lost left ovary 4/07 IUI #1 2/10/09-BFN IUI #2 3/5/09-BFN IVF # 1-BFP

TTC#2- FET 4/7/11 BFP, Natural mc 5/5/11 IVF#2 ER 9/13/11, ET 9/16/11, Beta #1 9/27/11 BFP 254 Beta #2 9/30/11 793 -Twins!

• Loading the player...
  • imageteakum:
    Its really hard to say one way or another without knowing what you have picked out...

I know Embarrassed  But i'm pretty sure there would be at least 3 different opinions on what the name "looks like" and as I said it is very similar to another name that most people would likely default to.  I'll give an example.  Let's say some one is named Halle--people will pronounce it "holly" "hailey"  less so now that Halle Berry has made it famous, but she complained about how it was growing up with people constantly mispronouncing it and thinking it must be something else.  That's how this name would be.

• imagenaflmj:
    Personally I think you should go with the name you love. It may be more complicated at first but once people know the name, there is no problem. We are using Graeme instead of Graham because we want to honor the family heritage, not made up but different and difficult to pronounce at first. Your child will not be scarred.

ITA, go with the name you love.

One of my most favorite girl names which we'd love to use one day is a very uncommon name in the English-speaking world, but it's a beautiful Dutch name with so much significance for my Flemish DH as well as myself.

And, I completely agree that your child will not be scarred. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I have to agree with all of the previous post that you should go with the name that you love. Like you said it is a name on its own and its not like you will name her Sydnei (name of a poor LO born at my hosptial last week) for a youneek spin on Sidney. I am one of the millions of Sarah's in the world and have always been jealous of my sister's beautiful "you don't hear that everyday" name.
  • I don't really have a good reply, I just wanted to say your daughter is freakin' adorable.
    Sadie is not impressed.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    "This ribbon has been reported." - lovesnina
  • EXACTLY WHAT I WANTED TO SAY! Your daughter, especially with that little caption underneath, OMG ADORABLE! You should enter it into a cutest kid contest!
  • I guess I have a bit of a different viewpoint about "difficult" to pronounce/spell names than you...but I would just go with what you love. I'm a much bigger fan of preserving heritage than spelling something different or avoiding a name all together just to accommodate other people (who can probably stand to broaden their horizons anyway!). My DH is Nisheeth and our kids will have Indian names because that's important to us - other people will figure it out. My DH hasn't been scarred because of his "difficult" name...
  • Honestly, I've had my name mis-spelled and mispronounced my whole life and you'd think Rachel would be pretty straight forward.  I've never been bothered by it.  If you really like something, go for it.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"