High-Risk Pregnancy

Ladies on Coumadin?

We were TTC early in the summer and I was on Lovenox. We did not have success (and my cycles were not quite right) so we decided to hold for a bit.  There was also some other stuff.  We are considering trying again soon.

The plan is definitely to switch from Coumadin (I am on it chronically) to Lovenox while TTC, just like I did before.  

Coumadin is teratogenic in the first trimester but I have heard varying things from physicians since I have been on it.  

I was wondering if anyone has been on Coumadin and did get pregnant? Would you be willing to share when you were switched to Lovenox or Heparin and how your pregnancy/delivery went?  is teratogenic in the first trimester but I have heard varying things from physicians since I have been on it.  

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Re: Ladies on Coumadin?

• There's not much research on it, but what some that's been done suggests that the defect occur very early on in pregnancy around 6 weeks. And it's usually a defect related to spine development. That's why they say to switch to Lovenox prior to TTC. Because many times women may not realize they are pregnant before the damage is potentially done.

I was on coumadin and switched to lovenox the day I said anything about TTC. I've been on the Lovenox since June 2008. Had a miscarriage in November 2008 and then stayed on the Lovenox because I knew I would want to try again ASAP. Got pregnant again in February and am now 34 weeks and everything seems to be healthy and good.

It's been a long road taking these shots twice/day for so long, but it's worth it! The time does go by though it may seem to be dragging at the time. 

GL!

Miscarriage/D&E 10w6d 10/3/14 (baby's heart stopped beating)

Ectopic Pregnancy discovered @ 10 weeks 5/6/14 (Lost right tube and ovary)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Miscarriage @ 9 weeks 11/9/08

• I was taking coumadin up until the night I got carried away with my DH and had unprotected sex, lol.  At that point, realizing that I could possibly get pg, I stopped taking coumadin as a precaution.  I waited the 2 weeks until I could test and I got a BFP.  That's when I called my dr and got the Rx for Lovenox.

My dr was very concerned about the fact that I had been taking coumadin not long before conception.  But luckily everything is going great with the baby.  My hemo doctor told me once that warfarin (generic name for coumadin) was originally used as a rat poison.  Knowing this it makes a lot of sense that it would not be a good thing to put in your body when you're pregnant!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Loading the player...
  • I was on coumadin for the past 9 months and was off of it for two months before I got my BFP. Both my regular doctor and hematologist didn't want me to conceive while on it. I didn't start lovenox right away though, I was just doing aspirin. I will switch to lovenox on Friday.
    DD May 2010
    DS July 2012
    EDD Sept 2015

• I was diagnosed with a blood clot a few weeks ago and they said Coumadin is not safe. They put me on Lovenox and will switch me to Coumadin after I deliver. They also said I should not breastfeed while on Coumadin.
  • imageBrooke208:
    I was diagnosed with a blood clot a few weeks ago and they said Coumadin is not safe. They put me on Lovenox and will switch me to Coumadin after I deliver. They also said I should not breastfeed while on Coumadin.

what!!?? Oh sweet jesus they didn't tell me that. I am so looking forward to stopping these shots after being on them for a year and a half!

I swear I was told that coumadin did not cross the blood brain barrier to effect your breastmilk!

Will be talking to my Dr. about this tomorrow!!! 

Miscarriage/D&E 10w6d 10/3/14 (baby's heart stopped beating)

Ectopic Pregnancy discovered @ 10 weeks 5/6/14 (Lost right tube and ovary)

Miscarriage @ 9 weeks 11/9/08

• I've heard much of what the pp have mentioned.  Its especially dangerous during the first trimester.  In fact I'm currently on it due to a blood clot I had after delivering my daughter in Nov 08.  I've been told more than a few times that if I want to get pregnant again I need to let them know ahead of time so they can start me on Lovenox.  I was told to wait a least a month or so of being on lovenox to actually ttc.  I'm not sure about the deal with bf and coumadin because I was never able to bf so I had to formula feed my daughter.  I would imagine it wouldn't be safe during bf but don't know for sure.  Good Luck to you!
  • imageJessalicious01:

imageBrooke208:
    I was diagnosed with a blood clot a few weeks ago and they said Coumadin is not safe. They put me on Lovenox and will switch me to Coumadin after I deliver. They also said I should not breastfeed while on Coumadin.

what!!?? Oh sweet jesus they didn't tell me that. I am so looking forward to stopping these shots after being on them for a year and a half!

I swear I was told that coumadin did not cross the blood brain barrier to effect your breastmilk!

Will be talking to my Dr. about this tomorrow!!! 

I've been on Heparin since May of 2008 and was also told I'd have to stay on it or switch to Lovenox while breastfeeding.  After I wean the baby then I can switch to warfarin.

• All 3 of my drs were very insistent that we are careful and not get pregnant on coumadin.  Just like pp have said, there is a chance of birth defects.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"