Parenting after a Loss

Baby Food/Drink questions

How long do they stick with purees? When do you start thickening things up and adding texture? We've only been doing solids for one month and he's only got about 7 foods under his belt. Also, for now I think a little texture might bother him still. I know he gags a little on the stringy part of avocado if I don't strain it. But that might be because it's stringy and not because of texture as a whole....I just don't know.

And when do you start juice? Just curious. Do you introduce it like all other foods, too - to watch for reaction? I haven't heard anything about juices, so I don't know.
Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Re: Baby Food/Drink questions

• We started solids early, so by 6 months, she was on stage 2, and some stage 3 solids. There was definetly more texture with the stage 3.  I would just thicken up whatever foods he likes the best and see how it goes. If he gags some, don't push it. 

We really don't give her much juice.  She's still not a huge fan of it.  I think she had her first taste of juice around 6.5-7 months.  I really only gave her any if she was constipated because nothing else helped.  I always watered it down too.  I don't do that now though. The pedi said at her age now, not to give her more than 4-6 oz/day. I'd say that's about what she gets a week.

• We stuck with puree's and cereals for a good 3 months or so.  DS is almost 11 months and we have only recently cut back on the puree's and started putting our table food into the foodmill at dinner time.  He had similar issues as your DS (uhm, when the heck did your DS get to be 6 m.o,????  time flies!) with not really doing well with textures for a long time.  That eventually goes away--now DS will eat anything you put in front of him.  At daycare they don't do table food at all until 1 year--he's still just getting purees and cereal there.

We don't do juice at all--I don't really see a need for it.  DS gets so many fruits, which are much better than juice.  Heck, my DD is almost 5 and we just started giving her juice because up to now she was happy enough with milk and water.

• Loading the player...
  • Well we just moved to stage 2 foods.. most of them are really smooth still but we tried a fruit and oatmeal mix yesterday that had bigger chunks of oatmeal in it and she HATED it. She also spits out puffs.. So I'm guessing she's not ready for anything else yet.

I'm gonna keep trying though because I don't want her eating only purees for ever.. 

Melissa & Jeff 5-27-06
    m/c 1/2/08 and 3/12/08
    Eve Amelia- Born 2/24/09. 6lb 9.9oz
    Natalie Ruth - Born 6/13/11 7lb 6.6oz
    imagebabies
    baby growth
  • We gave A a Cheerio, and he gagged and spat it out.  He acted grossed out that we would give him such a thing.  We broke a cheerio into thirds, and he did better with those.  But think about how tiny 1/3 of a cheerio is!  He chewed the timy chunks, so at least there's some progress.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"