Upstate NY Babies

BF

So we had a great day and evening of BF yesterday, and early this morning was a nightmare.  He would latch on for a few seconds and then frantically turn his head from side to side and whip off the nipple shield (maybe TMI, but I needed this, and hope to wean him from it in the next week or so, have not been success with that yet).  It seems like just when we get into the groove of things, things go haywire again.  Normal I assume for the first few weeks? 
imageimage PHOTO Credit: Meryl :)Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: BF

• all normal, my little one did the same thing.

and don't beat yourself up for using the shield, i used one too, i figured if i need it to get him to nurse it can't be a bad thing. he sort of weaned himself off the shield, but evey now and then i still have to use it. Michael has acutally at times started on one side with it- then finished without, and done the exact opposite on the other side during the same feeeding- whatever- as long as he eats.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • It's so hard those first few weeks. I remember thinking, "oh this is going so well" Then the next feeding would be a nightmare. Just keep trying. When we first brought Evan home it took both DH and I to get him to latch and stay on. Good luck!

• Loading the player...
  • don't feel bad abotthe shield.  I used one for the first month.  His pedi made me feel so guilty about it and wanted him off of it by 10 days.  Needless to say we changed peds.  it might be a growth spurt.  I think there is one around 10 days.
  • I used a shield too for the 1st month. I remember the frustration of the head-turn/trying to keep on the shield. Keep up the good work, it takes some getting used to!
    imageimageLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • The 10 day growth spurt! I wanted to die during ours. I felt like she was nursing constantly. The only good thing about it was the next day she slept for like 4 or 5 hours at once and so did I! I used the nipple shield too. It helped to decrease the pain while breastfeeding. I didn't use it much though because she would get a lot of air and would burp a ton and also spit up quite a bit afterwards. I would start a feeding with it, but then as soon as she stopped being so frantic and slowed down a little I would remove her, burp her, and then put her back on without it. Sometimes it worked and sometimes it didn't. But I always tried to offer just the plain nipple several times thru the feeding.
  • When T was as old as your LO and would do this we found out it was probably that she wasn't getting enough milk either from her not being latched on properly or because my supply had not come in enough yet. Now when she does this I've found it usually is when she has gas that she's trying to push out and can't. If it continues I would contact a LC to ask them.
    imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"