Attachment Parenting
Options

anyone tandem nurse?

I am reading Mothering Your Nursing Toddler and just read the section on Tandem nursing.  DH and I do not plan on ttc until DS is 2 or more likely 3 years old.  So, DS will likely be weaned by then and I will not be tandem nursing.  However, I thought this was a very sweet chapter.  The stories of a mommy nursing two siblings and the siblings holding hands.  I was talking to DH and my sister about it and they just think it is wierd, but I still think it must be a beautiful experience. 

Wondering what this experience has been like for others? 

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: anyone tandem nurse?

• Options
    well i can't speak to the toddler/baby tandem combo but i tandem nurse my twins and it really is an awesome experience.  i nurse them one on one a lot as well, but there is something amazing about nursing them together.  they are just starting to really interact with each other while nursing.  M is fascinated with D and likes to copy her, so if she pulls off he pulls off, if she goes "mmm" he goes "mmm", etc.  and she likes to reach out and try to touch his head.  they have also held hands a couple of times and that is seriously one of the sweetest things i've ever seen.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

My Blog

Our successful cycle was IVF #2: Microdose Lupron Flare Protocol - 2 beautiful blasts transferred.

email me: gretchela@hotmail.com
  • Options

imageGretchen*loves*Michael:
    well i can't speak to the toddler/baby tandem combo but i tandem nurse my twins and it really is an awesome experience.  i nurse them one on one a lot as well, but there is something amazing about nursing them together.  they are just starting to really interact with each other while nursing.  M is fascinated with D and likes to copy her, so if she pulls off he pulls off, if she goes "mmm" he goes "mmm", etc.  and she likes to reach out and try to touch his head.  they have also held hands a couple of times and that is seriously one of the sweetest things i've ever seen.

Oh wow, that's absolutely precious!

• Loading the player...
  • Options

I did not tandem nurse, but thought about it and may have given it a go had I read this book/chapter.  I have a handful of friends that did or are currently tandem nursing.  For me it seemed like it would be overwhelming, but I can see how it could also be sweet.  

It's too bad not everybody can look at it with an open mind and have to instead give this a One Star. Lame.

my blog: mama quiere beso
    Joaquin's hospital and Isela's birth center med & intervention free "hypnobabies" birth stories
  • Options

We're half tandem nursing, I guess?  I'm pregnant right now, but DD has started patting my belly while she nurses, which just melts my heart.

And Gretchen, that is seriously the cutest thing ever!  I hope my two LOs get along at the breast as well as yours seem to.  

• Options

imageGretchen*loves*Michael:

Wow! That sounds awesome, and ridiculously sweet.

• Options

i tandem nurse.  i only wish it was easier to do  it public - we are always rushing home to nurse.

my babies dont interact yet but they always pull of at the exact same time, give or take just a few seconds.  i find that interesting.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I considered it, but it would have taken some work to keep DD nursing while my milk supply was changing and decreasing during my pregnancy.  She was already down to just 2 sessions a day (18 months old) by the time I got pregnant.  And I was tired enough that I didn't want to force the nursing.  She self-weaned near the beginning of my second trimester.

I have a friend who tandems her two singleton kids (now both toddlers).  It has its challenges and rewards, just like nursing one baby does.  :-)

Heather Margaret --- Feb '07 and Todd Eldon --- April '09
  • Options
    imagegumiberg:

i tandem nurse.  i only wish it was easier to do  it public - we are always rushing home to nurse.

it is very hard to do in public, i agree.  i usually do one on one in public.  i've only done tandem a couple of times - in the park, and with one baby in a sling.  recently i haven't attempted it other than in a dressing room at anthropologie lol - which was hilarious b/c they only had this little stool basically and i had a baby on each knee, all of us sort of contorted.  but it worked in a pinch ;)  wouldn't have attempted that if visible though.  i was basically fully topless.  i'm very comfortable NIP one baby at a time but tandem is not something people are used to seeing.  my FIL referred to us as "wolves in the wild" when he saw us tandem nursing.  lovely. ;)  and that's family, so i can imagine the comments i'd get from randoms.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

My Blog

Our successful cycle was IVF #2: Microdose Lupron Flare Protocol - 2 beautiful blasts transferred.

email me: gretchela@hotmail.com
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"