D.C. Area Babies

I know when I am having my kid...

And I'm still not sure how I feel about it.

I went for my 38 week appointment and my LO's head moved towards the right area a little bit, but still no where near being engaged. My doctor said she felt much more confident at this point with me planning a c-section than she did last week because of how little progress there is, and how big he feels to her.  She said that she's fairly sure he's around 8lbs now, which is on point with my growth ultrasound 2 weeks ago which had him at 7lbs1oz). 

The biggest factor for her is my family history.  For those who don't know, I was born on my due date after my mom was in labor for a whole day, and failed to progress due to a tiny pelvis, and then had an emergency-c. My first degree relatives seem to have the exact same problem (with much smaller babies).  So, when my doctor is figuring in my LO's size, she said that it is exceptionally unlikely that he'd fit, and if he did for some reason, I'd probably be facing 3rd/4th degree tear, episiotomy, bladder problems, etc. She said that my risks for natural delivery likely outweigh the c-section risks.  She said all this after explaining how staunchly pro-vaginal delivery she normally is, and the fact that they employ a mid-wife in their practice, and how when she teaches her residents at Georgetown (I'm lucky to have a doc who is an MD and a PhD), she always favors vaginal delivery. This is all in spite of the fact that she had a c-section for her only child.  Clearly, in the right circumstances, a c-section is necessary.  I know I fit in this category, but it's so hard to succumb to. 

So, needless to say, I know (in theory) when my little guy will be here (the 12th).  And, as luck would have it, it's much later than it should be, but my doctor is out of town at a conference the prior week, so I have to wait until full term (and that's with my kid measuring nearly 2 weeks ahead...), and hope that I don't go into labor on my own, and end up with the on-call doc.  So, it seems weird to be doing things to prevent labor, but that's what I'll be doing. I don't really have any labor signs whatsoever, so I'm not terribly worried about my water breaking... but you never know.
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: I know when I am having my kid...

• I have been thinking about you and wondering what the follow-up was so thanks for the update. It sounds like you have a knowledgeable doctor that explains things and has a solid medical basis for her recommendations. I know it's scary to have a c-section but you will do fine with it. Just take it one step at a time. As soon as you look into your LO's eyes, it will make it all worth it. Keep us posted on any updates.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Who is your Dr? I posted on your original post that my Drs were Bannon/Lawson/Armstrong.  They all told me that if I went into labor b/f my scheduled date, chances are the Dr on call would be Dr. Tchabo (spelling) and Dr Bannon has nothing but great things to say about him. He delivered all three of her babies.

I agree, your doc seems really knowledgeable and is only looking out for you and your babies health.

Keep us posted and good luck!   

• Loading the player...
  • I hope you end up having an easy time, and get to your scheduled date with no problems.  I still refuse to believe the weight projections from ultrasounds (they're so often off by a pound or two), and would try not to worry too much that he's measuring ahead and might want to come early on his own.

Anti-labor dust to you? :)

imageimageimage
  • It sounds like your doctor is very meticulous.  I am certain she brought that same standard to choosing her partners.  Even if you go into labor early, I am certain you will receive top notch care.  At the end of the day, a healthy baby and mama are the most important things.  As my doctor told me, I could bring the most detailed birth plan I wanted, but babies and our bodies sometimes have other plans.
  • imageAna0927:

Who is your Dr? I posted on your original post that my Drs were Bannon/Lawson/Armstrong.  They all told me that if I went into labor b/f my scheduled date, chances are the Dr on call would be Dr. Tchabo (spelling) and Dr Bannon has nothing but great things to say about him. He delivered all three of her babies.

I agree, your doc seems really knowledgeable and is only looking out for you and your babies health.

Keep us posted and good luck!   

Thank you!

My doc is Crowther who is part of the Arlington Women's Center practice. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Just wanted to wish you the best... I had a scheduled C-section (DD was in breech). Overall, it was a good experience and I have no problem having a C with DC#2, whenever that happens.

If you have any questions about the process, recovery, etc (at least from my POV), feel free to PM me or page me on this board!

• thanks for the update! good luck with everything,it'll be fine! your son will share my DD's b-day!
  • I have been thinking about you! it sounds so silly, but I promise as soon as he is here, HOW he got here won't matter even a little bit.

Your Dr. sounds wonderful...so thorough!! best of luck to you for a easy delivery and speedy recovery...can't wait for pics of the little one!

• Sounds like you will be getting excellent care should you go early or on time. As others mentioned, once you have him in your arms it won't matter how he got there. The goal is a healthy baby and mommy. I'll be looking out for updates.
  • Sounds like you have a doctor who you trust and who has gone through all the scenarios and is making a well informed decision.  I can speak from experience that it is no picnic to have a big baby vaginally (DD was 9 lbs 13 oz, vacuum delivery with episiotomy).  I still have bladder problems, but the episiotomy wasn't as bad as I expected.  Good luck!! 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"