Pregnant after 35

I am concerned about my child

So, I found out that my oldest son isn't at school today.  They've been in school for 26 days.  He has missed at least 3 days, maybe more if today isn't his first day out this week.  He missed a test in World History.  He's in high school now, it can be hard to catch up once you get behind. 

Ugh. He has a half-brother who is almost 2 and is ALWAYS sick so I'm sure they are once again passing something through the house. I know sickness is going to happen.  It just seems to happen all the time in that house. 

The only reason I know this is because I received an email from one of his teachers.  Lucky for me I contacted his school at the beginning of the year and just got a confirmation email today that I wanted to be contacted about his progress.  I have to be proactive! :)

Ok, my vent is over.  I just know how he is.  He has to be pushed sometimes. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: I am concerned about my child

• He is cutting high school without you knowing?
  • imageJerseygirl16:
    He is cutting high school without you knowing?

Sorry, I've told this so many times I didn't want to beat a dead horse. LOL.

Both of my boys are now living with their dad in NC.  I'm in Indiana. 

• Loading the player...
  • Shan.. do you have an okay relationship with his father and stepmom?  I'd probably just put in a call and ask them, or your son, what's up.

Flu has been really bad in my area, either real or perceived.  Any kid who even has a slight symptom has been sent home lately and some schools are reporting up to 40% absenteeism and are closing for the week.  Maybe that's the problem in NC, too?

I guess it comes down to how good of a relationship you have with your boy at this distance.  Do you talk to him often?  Or is he a typical teen who doesn't tell you anything!

I'm sure this sucks big time.

• imageBrideBuddies:

Shan.. do you have an okay relationship with his father and stepmom?  I'd probably just put in a call and ask them, or your son, what's up.

Flu has been really bad in my area, either real or perceived.  Any kid who even has a slight symptom has been sent home lately and some schools are reporting up to 40% absenteeism and are closing for the week.  Maybe that's the problem in NC, too?

I guess it comes down to how good of a relationship you have with your boy at this distance.  Do you talk to him often?  Or is he a typical teen who doesn't tell you anything!

I'm sure this sucks big time.

Unfortunately, my relationship with his dad and step-mom is far from okay.  My phone is broken now and I haven't talked with him since Friday I think, but to my surprise he was contacting me more last week.  I left him a message on his Facebook to call us tonight and let us know what is going on.

I'm sure he is probably sick.  My only concern (because I know Hunter) is if he is really sick enough to be missing another day of school.  

Oh and I had emailed his dad this morning about something else and of course haven't received a response.  

I know I'm probably over reacting.  His dad is a hypochondriac, his paternal grandmother is a hypochondriac.  Unfortunately, my son exhibits some of those traits.  It's easier for me to pick up on that because I'm not so I was always the one that kept him in line about school and only let him miss when I KNEW without a doubt that he couldn't go.  I was pretty tough and made him go a lot of days when he said he didn't feel well. 

Sorry, I am just rambling. LOL.

• Well, I'm certainly no expert on exes and children, but I do know that emails and FB conversations are easily misinterpreted because you really can't get the sender's tone or attitude.  Almost always the receiver gets a negative tone from them because they aren't hearing your voice.

SO.... that being said, I'd get a phone conversation going ASAP rather than trying to talk via internet.

GL

• imageBrideBuddies:

Well, I'm certainly no expert on exes and children, but I do know that emails and FB conversations are easily misinterpreted because you really can't get the sender's tone or attitude.  Almost always the receiver gets a negative tone from them because they aren't hearing your voice.

SO.... that being said, I'd get a phone conversation going ASAP rather than trying to talk via internet.

GL

Yeah, hopefully my son will call my hubby soon.  He is at work so I won't get to talk to him but at least one of us will!

• DH talked to my son yesterday.  He had a headache and upset stomach yesterday morning, that's why he didn't go to school.

DH talked to him when he was at work (since my phone is broken) and said that Hunter was sad that he couldn't talk to me.  Awwww! :)

• I don't have any fabulous words of wisdom, but just wanted to lend my support.  It sucks to be so far away from your kids and be concerned.   Just try not to let something you don't have any control over upset you enough to make you sick.  Easier said than done, I know!

• imagekate&patrick:

I don't have any fabulous words of wisdom, but just wanted to lend my support.  It sucks to be so far away from your kids and be concerned.   Just try not to let something you don't have any control over upset you enough to make you sick.  Easier said than done, I know!

Thanks Kate!! 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"