Eco-Friendly Family
Options

Ideas for what to send a new mom whose baby is in NICU

So, one of my good friends from law school (she was a bridesmaid of mine lo these many years ago) just had her son.  She was due the first week in November, so that puts him at what? 34 weeks? 35? I don't know.  She sent pics tonight and said he was in the NICU.  Didn't say for how long or give any other details.  I know that she didn't buy anything for the baby before he got here and they don't make the most money.  They live halfway across the country, but I want to send them something ... don't know if its possible to send to the hospital (I suppose I could call area hospitals to find out which one they're at) or just at home, but what would be most useful for them right now?  I was thinking maybe gift certificates for takeout or something since I imagine they're eating on the go?  Anyone? Ideas?

Re: Ideas for what to send a new mom whose baby is in NICU

• Options
    That's a good idea.  I was going to send my friend a wrap so she could do kangaroo time with her NICU baby, but we didn't have the $ at the time.   Also maybe a cute outfit so she can enjoy dressing him up a bit. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    GC for food would be great, I'd think.  I'd say some sort of care package, but to be honest, I don't know what attention I'd have for sudoku or what exactly one could have in the NICU treat-wise. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    What wrap would you suggest?  Don't feel like I can send clothes since she didn't mention size (she had GD so size could be about anything).
  • Options

My DS1 was born @ 35w, we were in the hospital for a week. My friends' DS was born @ 34w, he was in NICU for 1.5 weeks, level 2 nursery for 1 week. Just to give you an idea. She would have appreciated gas $$ as only the baby was admitted.

• Options
    Thank you! that is very reassuring! All the babies I have known til now have all been close to or over their EDD, so I wasn't sure what to expect.  I'm glad to hear that her NICU time is probably short.
  • Options
    My friend had twins at 36 weeks and they didn't even have to go to the NICU.. so hopefully your friend's LO's trip to the NICU will be a short one!  MobyWrap is nice for kangaroo care and I second a GC for food, that is nice even if they didn't have to go to the NICU.  You could send newborn size clothing/diapers, even if they don't fit now they will soon. Gowns are nice and fit a range of sizes too.  If they don't have a basinet or a PNP yet that could be a really nice gift too, especially since you said they don't have much yet. 
    Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options

imagecrackerjackprinter:
    That's a good idea.  I was going to send my friend a wrap so she could do kangaroo time with her NICU baby, but we didn't have the $ at the time.   Also maybe a cute outfit so she can enjoy dressing him up a bit. 

A wrap would be *amazing*.  I had Lily at 33 weeks and I'd never heard of them, but I knew about kangaroo care (thank you nurse!) and I wanted something to help me do it as often as humanly possible.  I discovered Moby and had one ordered and on express ship to us.  It was expensive, but worth every single penny.  I truly believe it had a huge roll in her thriving like she did.

If that's not an option.  Clothes were the first things that came to my mind :)  We had to rush out and find preemie clothes with DD and had only one store from which to choose, so only 6 outfits or so.  Anyhow, it would have been nice to have more at the time :)

I'm also a sucker for blankets.  I love special blankets.

Check out The Eco-Friendly Family, a
    Green Living Blog
    for eco-information and fun giveaways!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"