Birth Stories

Zoe's quick induction-birth story

I went to the doctor for my 38 week check-up and had been having contractions off an on for a couple of days but nothing major.  He came in the door and said you have done enough lets induce you on Friday morning.  He did want to check me first to see if my cervix was favorable so when he did I was still at 2cm and about 50% effaced.  Which I had been for about a week so nothing major.  He decided to admit me on Thursday afternoon to give me Cytotec thru the night to get my cervix ready for the scheduled induction.  We got to the hospital at 3pm on Thursday afternoon and our first dose of Cytotec was given at 5pm.  I was having contractions 2-3 minutes apart but wasnt uncomfortable at all.  My DH and I decided it may be our last night of sleep so we decided to take full advantage of it.  They gave the Cytotec vaginally every 4 hours so at 5pm, 9pm,1am, and when they were insterting it at 5:15am my water broke.  The next contraction came on like nothing I had experienced before.  I told my DH to get in the shower and call my mom to come to the hospital.  From the first contraction after my water broke I couldnt talk and hardly breathe thru it.  I was still at 2cm when my water broke.  At 6am I asked for pain medicine thru my IV.  The nurse gave me Fentnyl and I felt relief for maybe 2 contractions and was screaming again in pain.  The nurse checked me at 6:10 and I was 4cm dilated.  The nurse suggested that I get an epidural so that I could relax and it could help me dilate.  I was terrified of epidurals but by this point I had only been having painful contractions for less than an hour and I was done with it.  The epidural was started at 6:55am and once again I only had relief for about 2 contractions.  My husband went and got the nurse to tell her the epidural wasnt working and she decided to check me again.  So about 7:15 when she checked me I was 10cm and ready to push.  She went to call the doctor and get the room ready for our baby to be born.  I started pushing at 7:56am and remember looking at the clock and thinking okay people push for over an hour with their first baby so it could be awhile.  Our Daughter Zoe Faith was born at 8:14am on Friday August 28 so I pushed for 18 minutes.  I did have tearing but it was internal and the doctor said it was because my labor went so fast going from 2cm - 10cm in less than 2 hours and only pushing for 18 minutes.  The recovery was alot more painful than I expected but it has been all worth it now to have our daughter here with us.

Re: Zoe's quick induction-birth story

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"