Stay at Home Moms

Need advice on something - long

So I've been babysitting my cousin's LO (he's 10w younger than DD) for about 3 months and I've hated it since about day 2. He drives me absolutely crazy. He whines and cries over the smallest things, wants to be held constantly (and whines in my lap, too) and is taking up so much of my time that I feel like all I do is gripe at DD to leave him alone (he whines when she gets in his face) and I don't have time for her. I don't have time for me, I don't have time for the house, and I'm losing sleep.

She doesn't pay me much. When I agreed to the price, she was broken up with her BF and I told her the amt she offered was fine. I'm doing this to help her, not to supplement my income. Well, she's back with him and they make and spend more than DH and I, which irritates me. She's also pg again and wants me to watch the new one too. I told her that's out of the question. Her BF has the nerve to whine to me about having to come pick his kid up (he's out of work an hour before she is). Um, hello. Your whiny ass child drove me crazy for 10 hours today for $10/day and you're complaining to ME!?

Anyway, sorry this got so long. How do I break up with her? What can I say without telling her that her son is a whinebag and drives me nuts? And what's a reasonable time? I don't want to tell her she needs to find him a new sitter tomorrow, but I can't do this months more, I just can't. I get anxious just thinking about him coming over in the morning. It's to the point where trying to help her is causing big issues for me and I just can't do it.

imageimageLilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Premature Baby tickers

Re: Need advice on something - long

• I just want to ask.... Is it possible this kid is high need?  If so, he's going to be more demanding and need a different approach to being watched.  It's draining some days, but once you figure out how to deal and handle it's not so bad.
  • Tell her you need more time for you and your LO. That you need to focus on your family. Who is going to say, "Um no, you can't focus on your family because it's about what is convenient to me!" If she does say that, then she is really messed up. If you want, you can tell her you will miss watching your LO but your family needs you right now and this is what's best (even though you will be really glad to see him go, if you say it this way she won't know that).

I would give her maybe 3 or 4 weeks though, because she is family. If she wasn't then just 2 weeks.  

• Loading the player...
  • Have you thought about wearing him? When dd wants to be carried all the time I put her on my back and she loves it.
  • imageNerdBride_D&D:

Tell her you need more time for you and your LO. That you need to focus on your family. Who is going to say, "Um no, you can't focus on your family because it's about what is convenient to me!" If she does say that, then she is really messed up. If you want, you can tell her you will miss watching your LO but your family needs you right now and this is what's best (even though you will be really glad to see him go, if you say it this way she won't know that).

I would give her maybe 3 or 4 weeks though, because she is family. If she wasn't then just 2 weeks.  

Ditto this.  I'd tell her that you and your DH talked about it, and you were glad you could help her out, but you need to focus on your daughter now (esp. now that she's back with her BF).

With the way you're feeling about it, it's best for someone else to watch him anyway (not that you have to tell her that).

Good luck!  

• I agree with telling her your family needs you right now/comes first and give her a few weeks to find new childcare.

You should not have to deal with anxiety of helping someone out by watching her child. You have your own family to take care of and like you said, watching her LO is taking time away from your DD as well. 

GL!!

• Ugh i was wondering how things were going with you. That really stinks- you definitely need to address this ASAP. I would just sit down with her and say that you need to focus on your family now.

no need to get into specifics why. you shouldn't have to explain yourself. I would just give her some notice and tell her to line up alternative care.

let us know when you get some freedom back. hang in there.

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Tell her that you don't feel like you are able to give your DD the focus and attention that you are a SAHM to give her while watching another child.  I'd give her a month or so to find another arrangement and don't feel bad about it.  You have to put your family first and she'd have to find a reliable place for the new baby anyway.  Good luck!
  • I watch my 4mo niece one day a week but I charge $30 and I thought I was giving my sister a deal! 

If I broke off my current gig I would allow one month notice, and I would not say ANYTHING about her kid.  Make it about you and your house/family.  I just tried to write a practice sentence here as a way to start the conversation rolling but I deleted it because it sounded lame.  You have the relationship with your cousin so you probably know best how to initiate it, in a loving manner, even though inside you just want to end it. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • This is what you say:

"Hi [cousin]. You know how much I love little Johnny, but I'm having trouble juggling him, my DD, and the housework. I'm feeling stressed, so it's time for a change. I'll keep him for six weeks, which should be long enough for you to find someone else."

Prepare for her to be pissed. She will moan, groan, and complain to everyone and you will look like the bad guy. This is because no good deed goes unpunished. But it will all blow over and be forgotten eventually.

People only take advantage of you if you let them. Time to stand up for yourself. Good luck!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Ditto everyone else on saying that you need to focus on your family, and 3-4 weeks seems reasonable to me. You do need to put your own family first. Good luck!
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickerscharlatti's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • $10 per day!!!  You should get paid $10/hour!  Do not feel guilty, your family should always come first.  Just tell her that you loved watching him but you and your husband have decided that you want to focus more on your DD and the household and give her at least 2 weeks notice.  Good luck, you are a saint for only having her pay you $10/day and shame on her for not increasing the amount once she got back together with her BF.  Her true character really came out by continuing to take advantage of your kind heart.
  • Thanks everyone. I really feel bad that I can't handle a one year old. He's very high maintenance - DD was when she was younger, but OMG. He's almost 15 months old. I had to hold him for naps for the first month and if his bottle ran dry he'd be screaming and never nap. He's not being mistreated or anything, and it's not that I don't love him, but I'm just losing it here.

A friend of mine works for the state aid dept and she told me that cousin could get daycare assistance making it almost as cheap as me, so it won't kill her.

imageimageLilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Give her two weeks notice (which is 12 days longer than I got when my "professional" licensed daycare center closed down).

Tell her you assumed this was a temporary thing when she was broken up, and you were happy to help her out then, but not that they are back together and expanding their family, they need to find long-term childcare.

- Jena
  • imageLady Galadriel:
    Have you thought about wearing him? When dd wants to be carried all the time I put her on my back and she loves it.

This makes me smile.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"