Breastfeeding

WWYD: formula or no?

background: i had a very low supply with DD #1, so she was supplemented w/ formula from 1 month on. i HATED EVERY SECOND of giving her formula.

this time, i've been taking fenugreek, brewer's yeast, and pumping 3x a day since DD #2 was born. she was 2 mo old yesterday. sometimes i feel like she's not getting enough at my breast...she'll be super fussy..pulling on and off again. i often give her the milk that i pump (btwn 1-3 oz each session). DH wants to buy formula to have on hand for days when she doesnt seem satisfied and says for me to just pump whenever she gets the formula. I don't want to do that! I feel like, if this is a supply issue, formula will just add to it. on the other hand, how much harm could 1 or 2 formula bottles a day do?

sidenote: I worked out today...I've noticed that the other days that I've worked out she seemed unsatisfied. By no means were these great workouts: 20 min elliptical or 1 mile jog w/ abs/arms routine. think that could be a possible culprit??

what are you opinions?

Re: WWYD: formula or no?

• If you were so unhappy giving LO#1 formula, I wouldn't get any back up formula for #2.  I feel like if you don't have a back up, your forced to make it work.  1-2 bottles a day could make a big difference if you don't pump.  If you do pump, not so much but LO is more efficient than any pump.  If it was me, I would keep trying to increase my supply without supplementing.  I have heard others mention that their supply has dropped if they've worked out so it could be related.  I don't really work out (sad but true) so I wouldn't know first hand.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Yes, working out can impact your supply and it adds a chemical to your milk...I'm sure someone else can post the link of what I'm referring to.

Anyway, me personally, I would give some formula, because I think a happy Mom makes a happy baby, and I wouldn't want to be so stressed out about it.  But it sounds like you are really anti-formula, so that's a decision you need to make on your own.  I really wanted to EBF, but had to supp in the hospital b/c DD lost too much weight at first, and ever since, she's about 80% BM and 20% formula, and I've just accepted it and moved on.  I know that I'm doing what's best for me and my baby, you need to make that decision on your own also.

Good luck with your decision!

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • We've been supplementing with formula since they gave us some at the hospital for jaundice.  I am very happy with it.  I still pump as much as I can but its great to know she is getting enough food. 
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • the lactic acid in breastmtilk (that someone else was referring to) goes away very shortly after exercise and you have to workout pretty  hard to get it.

That said,
    I have twins and not quite enough milk for two. I choose to supplement at night because otherwise 1) they nurse non-stop and 2) eliminates the stress.  You just have to do what is best for you, but I hate how a bottle or two of formula is sometimes seen as failure.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagegumiberg:

I hate how a bottle or two of formula is sometimes seen as failure.

Not by me!!!  Happy Mom = Happy Baby!!!  I also hate the judgement, you have to do what's best for your family to keep you sane!

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I am trying to EBF for 1 year without supplementing but if I thought I didn't have enough milk and DD was hungry and/or losing weight, I wouldn't hesitate to supplement with formula.  Formula is food and will not hurt a baby.  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"