Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

how does an IUD work exactly?

I was just reading a book that mentioned an IUD that works by making the uterus reject a fertilized egg.  Is this true for every IUD? If so, I just might go and get mine removed 'cause that is against what I believe.

Re: how does an IUD work exactly?

• Options

As far as I know the mirena works with hormones similar to the minipill.

The paragard is copper and I dont think they know exactly how it works but i wouls assume its something like what you read.

However, take into consideration where you are getting your info. I once went to a marriage communication retreat put on by the catholic church and the priest told us that BCP were mini pills of poison that you swallowed and they lined your uters, then when you got pregnant the baby would be poisened and die.

I am not trying to start a religion debate this is just a real life situation.

• Options
    The way that it should work is by blocking anything (ie an egg) from implanting into your endomitrium (sp?). I would suggest talking to your OB for further info on if it is against what you believe.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Primarily, they prevent sperm from fertilizing an egg. Here is some information.
  • Options
    imagemrs.serrato85:

As far as I know the mirena works with hormones similar to the minipill.

The paragard is copper and I dont think they know exactly how it works but i wouls assume its something like what you read.

However, take into consideration where you are getting your info. I once went to a marriage communication retreat put on by the catholic church and the priest told us that BCP were mini pills of poison that you swallowed and they lined your uters, then when you got pregnant the baby would be poisened and die.

I am not trying to start a religion debate this is just a real life situation.

Holy Sh**! That is ridiculous (sp) talk about misinformation. 

• Options

How an IUD Works

Hormonal and copper IUDs work in different ways. With a copper IUD, a small amount of copper is released into the uterus. This type of IUD does not affect ovulation or the menstrual cycle. Copper IUDs prevent sperm from being able to go into the egg by immobilizing the sperm on the way to the fallopian tubes. If an egg does become fertilized, implantation on the wall of the uterus is prevented because copper changes the lining of the uterus.

With hormonal IUDs, a small amount of progestin or a similar hormone is released into the uterus. These hormones thicken cervical mucus and make it difficult for sperm to enter the cervix. Hormonal IUDs also slow down the growth of the uterine lining, making it inhospitable for fertilized eggs.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"