Two Under 2

Fast labor with #1?

Mine was 6hrs from first contrax to birth. My hospital is about 40mins from home so we got there and she was born an hour later, no time for epi or even to put me in a gown or whatever. Pretty dramatic I guess.

I think I asked this question back before I was actually pg again but I don't think I got that many replies. I'm wondering alot lately what the liklihood that #2's labor will be even faster? (yikes). If your first labor was snappy, did your subsequent get even quicker?

Re: Fast labor with #1?

• With my first I was only in labor for 45 minutes, so my Dr. had me induced with my second so that I wouldn't have the baby at home. Well it was a good thing because I was only in labor with my second for about 20 minutes.
  • imagewsuBride:
    With my first I was only in labor for 45 minutes, so my Dr. had me induced with my second so that I wouldn't have the baby at home. Well it was a good thing because I was only in labor with my second for about 20 minutes.

Um.......holy hellll?! I need to ask how they plan to handle me this time as well. Not that our labors are comparable at all as it relates to length (lol) but 6hrs is still pretty damn fast and with a 45min drive that may be something of concern if it gets any faster.

Right now I'm simply planning on believing my contrax timer (didn't believe I was doing it right and I started out at 4mins apart)!

• Loading the player...
  • imagethomas&lynn:

imagewsuBride:
    With my first I was only in labor for 45 minutes, so my Dr. had me induced with my second so that I wouldn't have the baby at home. Well it was a good thing because I was only in labor with my second for about 20 minutes.

holy hellll?!

This is exactly what I thought, Holy Hell!!!!  No other comments from me, my labor was induced and not snappy.  :)

• With DS1 I went to L&D because my water broke but was not having contractions. They gave me pitocin around 8 and DS was born at 1:15am but I was pushing for 2 hours, so I dilated to 10cm in about 3 hours. With DS2 I got to the hospital at 2am and was dilated to 6cm and he was born at 7am. So they were both kind of quick, but about the same amount of time.
  • Not sure how this one will play out, but I think I fully dialated in about 5 hours.  Too bad he was sunny side up, and it took me 3 1/2 hours to push him out!  My ob said I am to come straight to the hospital this time when contractions start though.
    Connor Thomas 6/6/08. Discovered missed miscarriage at 17 wks 3 days, D&C 11/25/09. Please, please, please - BFP 5/21/11, EDD 2/1/11. Beta@12DPO=52, Beta@14DPO=158. U/S 7/7/11 shows strong baby measuring a couple days ahead!!! Pregnancy Ticker
  • I'm worried about this too; with DD, from the contraction that woke me up to the time she was born was exactly four hours. We don't live too far from the hospital though, and I won't labor at home for as long this time.
  • My labor with my DS #1 was 1 hour.  I just went to my 36 week appt. for DS #2 and I'm already 3 cm dilated so I'm worried about having an unplanned home birth....I live about 35 mins from the hospital.  So if my water doesn't break on its own by 39 weeks then I will be induced. If your labor is 3 hours or less then it's known as precipitous.  If you google it you can read more about it but if you have 1 precipitous labor then it is very likely that you will have another.  So definitely be prepared!
    Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker image
  • imageSoonToBeMrsWard:
    My labor with my DS #1 was 1 hour.  I just went to my 36 week appt. for DS #2 and I'm already 3 cm dilated so I'm worried about having an unplanned home birth....I live about 35 mins from the hospital.  So if my water doesn't break on its own by 39 weeks then I will be induced. If your labor is 3 hours or less then it's known as precipitous.  If you google it you can read more about it but if you have 1 precipitous labor then it is very likely that you will have another.  So definitely be prepared!

Goodness, woman! Did you make it to the hospital for #1 then? When I use the word 'labor', I am including pushing time.........I'm assuming (hoping?) your definition includes different parameters? Either way, that is some birth story I'm sure!

Since my labor and pushing was 6hrs I guess I wouldn't fall into the precipitous category but dang it sure felt lighting fast to me. I thought when I was admitted that I'd have several more hours of pain ahead of me but it was time to push instead.

MH and I decided tonight that I will be switching to our hospital in town (and therefore switching practices) so at least that driving time will be drastically shortened.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"