High-Risk Pregnancy

Gestational Hypertension

Went in for my routine 30 week visit and my BP was 160/100. The nurse and the doctor totally freaked out. Doctor told me that I should prepare my work for me to be going on bedrest and that I will probably have to come in for visits 1-2x per week now. I have to go back on Friday for a follow-up visit and they will tell me if I need to go on bedrest.

Blood work came back normal... so I'm probably don't have pre-eclampsia (yet). But I am having visual disturbances... seeing spots, brief periods of blurriness a few times a week... which concerns the doctor a lot.

I just hope my BP is lower on Friday. I don't want to go to the hospital for monitoring, or get put on bedrest.... and I certainly don't want a premature baby! :( I'm so stressed about it.

Re: Gestational Hypertension

• I take blood pressure meds to control my bp.  I did not have high bp before pregnancy and so far the meds are controlling my bp perfectly.  Maybe your doc can go that route?  Good luck.
  • Most doctors do not prescribe bp meds after 20 weeks.  Some do, but most don't. I have had pre-e twice and have had pih this pregnancy, but I do not have bp issues when I am not pregnant.  I started having bp issues at 27 weeks and I was put on bedrest.  I know that if I had not been, my baby would have been born a long time ago.  I am being induced tomorrow (37 weeks).  I know it is scary!  Make sure your doc knows about the visual disturbances as well of any headaches, upper right gastric pain or swelling in your face and hands.  Pre-e can develop very fast so you need to be aware of how you are feeling.  Your doctor should be monitoring you very closely with weekly nst's, bloodwork, urine checks and bp checks.   I have gone at least once a week, but usually two.  I hope that you can keep your baby cooking!  You may want to check out www.preeclmapsia.org.  It is a great site with lost of info about all things related to pre-e and pih! 
  • Loading the player...
  • Have you had high readings before?  Is this a steady increase or a total shocker?  Have you had any protein in your urine or done a 24 hour urine screen yet?  It's promising that your blood work was normal, but you should expect them to keep an eye on your blood work.  As the other ladies told you, pre-e can develop very quickly.  You also want to keep any eye on any feeling like severe heartburn, which could indicate other problems.  I had HELLP Syndrome with my 19 month old DS, and that's exactly what it felt like....the worst heartburn I'd ever had, EVER.  

Stressing about this sort of thing is normal and expected, but try to minimize it as much as possible.  Use this board as a source of support and keep that baby baking for as long as possible!  Every day the baby is in utero is worth 3 days in the NICU. 

• imagecourtz00:
    I take blood pressure meds to control my bp.  I did not have high bp before pregnancy and so far the meds are controlling my bp perfectly.  Maybe your doc can go that route?  Good luck.

This is the same as mine.  I hate the way the meds make me feel but it's best for my baby so I deal with it.

• Thanks for all your advice ladies! This came on so suddenly. My BP was always normal at every visit ... everything was going well, except I have mild GD but that is totally managable with diet, and then BAM! 160/100 one day!

I reported the visual disturbances to my doctor ... and he seemed concerned about that. I go back tomorrow for a follow-up.

I've been so worried about it.... I probably need to stop reading all the stuff online about pre-e. The risks of placental abruption, HELLP, etc, etc, are totally freaking me out. I can hardly even sleep!

• imagemarivalentine09:

Thanks for all your advice ladies! This came on so suddenly. My BP was always normal at every visit ... everything was going well, except I have mild GD but that is totally managable with diet, and then BAM! 160/100 one day!

I reported the visual disturbances to my doctor ... and he seemed concerned about that. I go back tomorrow for a follow-up.

I've been so worried about it.... I probably need to stop reading all the stuff online about pre-e. The risks of placental abruption, HELLP, etc, etc, are totally freaking me out. I can hardly even sleep!

Yes...stop reading until you know for sure!  It'll just work you up more when you go get checked again. 

• I was diagnosed with hypertension at 14 weeks and was on meds the rest of my pregnancy- never had problems before BFP.  I had a few appts where my BP was up high (like yours) but my bloodwork always came back negative.  I got headaches but never vision disturbances.  BP can change in minutes (I had mine checked at beginning and end of appts and it was always lower at the end!), so try to stay calm. I know it's scary though!  If it helps, my OB said I had the most boring delivery for having the most eventful pregnancy. I carried DS to 39w2d before being induced- and my last two months of pregnancy I had bi-weekly office visits and twice a month hospital check ups!  best of luck!
     Image and video hosting by TinyPic
      Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"