Breastfeeding

Am I just totally inept?

I have nursed in public twice so far, and once at a friend's house, with the nursing cover.  Twice, I've held E in my right arm and gotten her latched on okay and made it work fairly well.  The third time, I had her on the left side, and me being right-handed, it was a disaster.  I was really uncomfortable the whole time and I ended up laying her on top of the diaper bag on my lap so I didn't have to hold her up with my left arm.  And with C, who is very particular about how she's lined up, I haven't even tried it.  I'm too chicken.  So am I just an idiot who needs to practice this more, or is holding a baby up to nurse with one arm just really tough?  At home, I have a setup that works great, with a few pillows, but obviously that's out when you're on the go.  Maybe I'm too comfortable in my pillow routine.  

Do others have a problem with the physical logistics of nursing in public?  Or is it just me?   

Re: Am I just totally inept?

• with my first baby, I couldn't nurse in public at all!  I had a whole set up that worked at home, certain pillows etc!  With my second, I had no problem.  Each kid is different!  Don't beat yourself up, give yourself time and it will get easier for you! 
  • It took me awhile, but I NIP all the time (covered if I must!).  I usually sit cross legged or cross one leg over the other and kind of lean on it.  I do a cross cradle hold most of the time, although I can do other ones too.  I really think it just takes practice-maybe try it at home however you would do it in public (with a cover, no pillow, whatever).  Don't beat yourself up though!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Maybe try to sit crossed legs and have one leg raised up higher and sort of prop the baby up... thats worked for me.  But I am lost without my boppy too so I relate to your problem
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Now that dd is bigger it's not as hard but I still find myself propping my leg up for extra support.  So if I'm nursing on the right I'm holding dd with my right arm and my right leg is propped up on the couch or chair I'm sitting in.  It's not the most graceful thing in the world but it works.

Clomid M/C 8 weeks 2/08 *IVF #1-DD born 3/09
    *Surprise BFP-T18 baby lost at 13w 1/10 *FET #1-DS born 2/11
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • imagelaura&dan05:

Now that dd is bigger it's not as hard but I still find myself propping my leg up for extra support.  So if I'm nursing on the right I'm holding dd with my right arm and my right leg is propped up on the couch or chair I'm sitting in.  It's not the most graceful thing in the world but it works.

This is my technique too Big Smile

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"