From what I understand, they use far less water/energy and require a special HE detergent (due to the less water). You just need to keep the door open to the washer to let it air out and it won't get smelly.
It also prevents your clothes from getting all wrapped up around that spinner thing in the middle.
We have an LG front loader washer/dryer combo and love it--that's the one in Oakhurst...down here we have just a regular washer and dryer and everything keeps getting tangled.
We bought ours for these reasons:
1. Uses less water ( 14 gal vs 40+)
2. Heats its own water
3. Offers a "sanitize" wash (great for when I have bloody clothes from work)
4. Uses less detergent (u can use regular detergent and just put less in)
5. I'm short and cannot reach into a top loader without a step stool (at least for the bottom)
6. I LOVE my storage drawers...the fact that I don't have to bend over (pregnant or not, I have a bad back) to get my clothes out is AWESOME
7. Works amazing on my cloth diapers!
We have the Whirpool Duet....
you can't open the washer on the front loader if you forget to put something in. I am always adding one more thing to my washing machine!