Special Needs
Options

update on developmental pedi appointment today!

so after months of waiting for our appt, today was the day! S was seen by a speech therapist and a nurse, then the developmental pedi. 

the pedi doesn't believe S is apraxic, she thinks it is an articulation disorder. (pronunciation). She said to continue with her speech therapy and that we are on exactly the right track!

:)  I'm happy!  

Sisterly love--Sophia (1/14/07) and Baby Margaux (7/13/10) image Doctor in training! :)image

Re: update on developmental pedi appointment today!

• Options
    Very good news!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

That is great.

For what it is worth, you can all it (or not call it) what you want. (Here is what the American Speech Language and Hearing Association has to say about apraxia in kids: https://www.asha.org/docs/html/PS2007-00277.html). But apraxia is often simply a result of poor oral coordination - the child can not get their lips, jaw, and tongue to do what it need to do to produce accurate speech.  An articulation disorder can have the exact same problem...the child can not coordinate (maybe because of low tone, etc.) tongue tip elevation (for example) to produce specific sounds.  Some SLPs pass out apraxia diagnosis pretty readily, some are more cautious.  Some (myself) typically label the symptoms (low tone, poor oral coordination, difficulty puckering lips, etc) to avoid the is it or isn't it debate and people judging the therapist and child by the label.  As long as you have a SLP who is successful with diagnosing the reason (is it coordination? phonological processing? hearing issues? etc) why your child's speech is delayed/disordered/unintelligible, thus addressing the deficits in the most effective manner, you will most likely see great progress.

I am glad things are looking good for you guys! 

• Options
    That's wonderful M!!! So good to hear!
    Nora Judith 7/2/06 Miles Chauncey 4/20/09 born with Trisomy 21 - Down syndrome
  • Options
    Wow! Awesome news!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"