Northern California Babies
Options

life with a particularly snuggly baby

I don't know what is "normal" for a newborn, since this is my first, but I think that we have a particularly snuggly baby on our hands. It's adorable, but beyond that obvious fact, it's also exhausting, because we never get a break. Not that I expected a lot of breaks as a new parent, but I did figure that our baby would last longer than 10 minutes by herself (in some device, either the bassinet, crib, bouncer, swing, etc). If I'm real sneaky, I can get her into the swing for 45 minutes (placing her in there while dead asleep and hoping, praying, wishing the clicking of the seat belts doesn't wake her up!). If we are not wearing or holding her during the day she cries and will not nap. If I don't sleep next to her at night, she will cry and never sleep. It sure makes getting stuff done around the house a challenge (even with carriers) and it makes maintaining more than a "roommate" relationship with my DH and real challenge!

So, if you had a particularly cuddly baby, did they ever grow out of it? And, at what age?

We are trying to find humor in the fact that we have a particularly sensitive and snuggly newborn. We were watching a movie the other night and there was this really eccentric couple following the Continuum Concept of parenting. https://www.continuum-concept.org/cc_defined.html. We had to laugh b/c while we were never planning on following this concept, we reviewed the checklist and it fits our baby to a T! She hates the stroller, must be carried/held at all times, must sleep with us, etc. (This is not meant to disrespect anyone who is following this concept!). We just now refer to her as our little Continuum baby. =)

Amazing how they all come with their own individual personality, needs, demands and you really have to change your entire life to meet their needs.

Re: life with a particularly snuggly baby

• Options
    Max *only* slept on us for the first 2 months or so... revel in it now, because there will come a day where snuggling on you is the LAST thing they'd think to do, and you'll miss it!
  • Options

by 8 weeks we could see the light at the end of the tunnel. By 12 weeks he was like a totally different kid.

I hestiate to post this because i'm not advocating this method at ALL. But what changed for us, was logan getting bottle fed. He just had to be next to me all the time because he had a really poor suck and wasn't getting enough b'fing. I thought it was survival skills, being next to your food source all the time. Anyway I started pumping exclusively around 8 weeks and offering him the bottle.

• Loading the player...
  • Options

Maddy has been a particularly snuggly baby as well. To this day she much prefers to sleep on me,  rather than her crib and be carried rather than the stroller. But all 22 lbs of her can get a little heavy so I don't do it as often as I would prefer to.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

imageNotJustAnAuntie:
    Max *only* slept on us for the first 2 months or so... revel in it now, because there will come a day where snuggling on you is the LAST thing they'd think to do, and you'll miss it!

Thanks for chiming in. I keep telling myself this, but when I'm in *this* moment, it seems like that time will never come....even though I know it will! :)

• Options

i agree - ive always been amazed at how individual they are right out of the womb!?

wearing B helped me a lot the first few months.?

• Options

Ok I totally read this post wrong (thats what I get for trying to multi task and work and nest at the same time)

For me I know its been difficult to see past any stage we are in. Just know that this stage won't last forever, things will get better..  I appreciated and enjoyed my child at 4 months so much more than 2... but I still miss particular things about previous stages too. .

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

DD was like that during the day for sure - nighttime we never slept with her so that wasn't an issue. But she was held pretty much all the time until she started digging her bouncer (around 2 months) which was great because we could eat dinner with both hands! Even the swing wasn't something she wanted to be in for long periods - basically it was my way to take a shower each day. Because of her torticollis, carrying her wasn't an option for me. So I basically got nothing done.

Somewhere around 3-4 months she just...stopped. I try really hard to get her to snuggle and she's not into it - unless she's tired and is putting her head on my shoulder - but even that only lasts a minute before she's looking around at something else.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imageMrs.K&C:

DD was like that during the day for sure - nighttime we never slept with her so that wasn't an issue. But she was held pretty much all the time until she started digging her bouncer (around 2 months) which was great because we could eat dinner with both hands! Even the swing wasn't something she wanted to be in for long periods - basically it was my way to take a shower each day. Because of her torticollis, carrying her wasn't an option for me. So I basically got nothing done.

Somewhere around 3-4 months she just...stopped. I try really hard to get her to snuggle and she's not into it - unless she's tired and is putting her head on my shoulder - but even that only lasts a minute before she's looking around at something else.

I think you hit the nail on the head for me. What I am struggling the most with is "not getting anything done." I am so used to working and looking back at the end of each day and realizing I got X, Y & Z done. I let accomplishments define myself in a sense. Looking back at my stay-at-home days (thus far) I feel a little defeated when I realize all I did all day was one load of laundry and some dishes, because I couldn't do anything else while wearing her. I have a new set of curtains & a rod that I have been meaning to install for weeks, but baby wearing + a ladder + plus a power drill....is sure to equal disaster! :) What I am having a hard time accepting is that taking care of LO, feeding her, soothing her, keeping her happy IS getting something done and I should be proud of it.

I need to form OA. Overachievers Anonymous.

PS: That must have been so hard not to wear Sabrina b/c of the torticollis. I hope that it's getting better!

• Options
    imageyosemite:
    imageMrs.K&C:

I think you hit the nail on the head for me. What I am struggling the most with is "not getting anything done." I am so used to working and looking back at the end of each day and realizing I got X, Y & Z done. I let accomplishments define myself in a sense. Looking back at my stay-at-home days (thus far) I feel a little defeated when I realize all I did all day was one load of laundry and some dishes, because I couldn't do anything else while wearing her. I have a new set of curtains & a rod that I have been meaning to install for weeks, but baby wearing + a ladder + plus a power drill....is sure to equal disaster! :) What I am having a hard time accepting is that taking care of LO, feeding her, soothing her, keeping her happy IS getting something done and I should be proud of it.

I need to form OA. Overachievers Anonymous.

PS: That must have been so hard not to wear Sabrina b/c of the torticollis. I hope that it's getting better!

This was huge, huge, huge for me because I also get a sense of self from accomplishing stuff during the day - lots of stuff. One thing I found that helped was assuming I would get nothing done. So if she happened to have a day where she slept for 5 minutes and I hung a picture or something, I felt accomplished. Returning to work is ultimately all that brought that sense of accomplishment back, and brought me back to ME. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

Grayson started growing out of it around 3-4 months.  But, for us at least, it's never really gotten any easier.  It's still 10 minutes or so with each activity and I still have to be RIGHT THERE. 

Remember trying to put him in the jumpy at your house.  Nightmare.  Now I know if I want to set him down, I have to also be making eye contact.

Hang in there!!

• Options
    DH and I had the same joke!  We became baby-wearing parents (like ALL the time) without ever intending to.  E has become more independent as she has gotten older.  Now she is a nice, reasonable-mostly, snuggler.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"