Baby Names

name stealing

Ok so my DH and I are TTC first month. His sister found out she was pregnant on our honeymoon.  His mom asked us if we had names picked out for when we have kids and we told her our boy name...how about his sister has the same name picked out.  Well now she is starting to think of a different name. 

So if she ends up having a girl and we have a boy would it be right to use that boy name even though she was pregnant first?  If she has a boy and we have a boy and they don't use that name would it be ok to use that name?

I've just been bothered by this for weeks now and being that I'm an only child and don't know sister rules if anyone had any thoughts.  (I know this might be silly too but so many of my friends have had babies and taken some of our top names, i'm tired of my names being taken before I can even get pregnant)

image Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers TTC 09/09 BFP 12/03/09 1st m/c 1/8/10 @ 9w5d, baby measured 6w1d Clomid 50mg Nov 11=BFN (not monitored) Clomid 50mg Dec 11=BFN (not monitored) Clomid 50mg Jan 11=? (day 12 sono)

Re: name stealing

• When she has the baby, she should use whichever name she likes. When you have a baby, you should use whichever name you like.

There is no guarantee both of you will have a boy and a girl. I would not avoid a boy name if/when you have a boy, b/c of a slight a chance that someday her 2nd child will be a boy. The same goes for her.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Who ever has the boy first gets to use the name first.  No dibs.
  • Loading the player...
  • As strange as it is, most people never seem to reuse the names they didn't use on a previous pregnancy. My friend chose Grace and Samuel. After having a girl, Samuel never was used for her next baby, or the next! If she doesn't use it, it's fair game. If you want to be extra considerate, you can talk to her- but it shouldn't be a big deal. And side note, prehaps you should be more "hush-hush" about your name choices, just so they don't get "stolen". GL!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • The whole idea of "name stealing" is so pointlessly ridiculous, it makes my teeth chatter.
  • I'd just say whoever has the first opportunity to use it should be able to go for it. Especially if it's a coincidence and not a direct steal.

It's frustrating to have the same name picked out, but it does happen.

• Name your child whatever you like and she can name her child whatever she likes. Good luck to you for a BFP.

ETA: My mom's brother named his son the same name my mom used for her son. So my brother and my cousin have the same name.  It's never messed anyone up and my mother never gave a d@mn about it. When I asked her if that bothered her she looked at me like I was crazy and said, "How silly. Why would that bother me?" But you come on here and people are all worked up about it!

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

• My cousin stole my girl name. It's a good thing I had a boy or else I wouldve had to kill her.

And I think its a big deal. Just like on Seinfeld when the name "Seven" was stolen.

• I have a niece who had a girl and named her Makenzie and a nephew who named his DD Makenzie.  The niece and nephew are not brother and sister but the kids do see each other at holidays, etc.  There has never been a problem and they are pretty close in age too.  By the time you have a boy you're choices might change.
  • Yes, you can use that name if she doesn't.  If you can't use even the names people simply THOUGHT of for their kids... you'd really have a hard time picking a name.....
    "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• She may like the name now but once LO arrives she may change her mind. I wouldn't worry about it. Same w/ you and your dh.

This is one of the main reasons we've kept ds name under wraps. While it drives people nuts we're doing it for this very reason.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • This is why I never tell anyone close to me my name list.
    Married 5/31/08 * TTC#1 9/09 - 2/11
    after anovulatory diagnosis and TTC for 1 1/2yrs with several medicated cycles and one chemical pregnancy, we have our first bundle of joy!
    IT'S A GIRL!
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    #2 EDD 2/5/13 dx with anti-BIG E antibody, seeing a MFM
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
    VOTE on my Name List
    I don't take one single minute for granted.
  • This is why you shouldn't share names. Even though you don't have "claim" over it, it causes these feelings if someone else in the family or close to you happens to like it as well. At least if you keep it to yourself, you won't feel like it was "stolen" from you.

I know my sister has always loved the name Abigail. Will she when she gets PG? I dunno, but no way would I use it, even if she had 6 boys and I had girls. 

• Depending on how close you are, after she has her ds, you could always ask her if she minds you using the name she didn't use.

• My sister is a world-class "biter."  She bites my style on the regular, and I remember back in the day I was in love with the name "Helen."  I just think it's so pretty and sophisticated.  Well...guess who magically can't remember that conversation and thinks Helen is just the most wonderful name in the world?  ding ding ding!  So, that "learned" me.  No more name sharing.  Unless of course, you know the sex and are ready to tell folk.  Beyond that, people always feel the need to comment, which after you've made the decision is just kind of pointless.  But to OP's original question, if the sister-in-law has a boy and gives him that name, see if you still want to use it.  If you do, then do.  More than likely, you won't want to.  Or, you may have a girl.  Either way, it's not like she told you the name and then you said "ooooh! I want to use that" Like Rachel did to Monica on "Friends"--so wrong--so, I think it's fair game.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"