Georgia Babies

what is all the hype with....

front loading washing machines?  our washing machine just broke this week and so we're shopping around.  I know everyone seems to be all in love with their front loaders but I just don't understand what the big deal is?   please explain!

Re: what is all the hype with....

• From what I understand, they use far less water/energy and require a special HE detergent (due to the less water).  You just need to keep the door open to the washer to let it air out and it won't get smelly. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • I think the front loaders used to be hand in hand with being high efficiency, but we have an HE washer and it is a top loader.  I like that so much better than front loading.  I don't understand the hipe of the front loader either!
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lily  pie Second Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • It also prevents your clothes from getting all wrapped up around that spinner thing in the middle.

We have an LG front loader washer/dryer combo and love it--that's the one in Oakhurst...down here we have just a regular washer and dryer and everything keeps getting tangled.

• I can wash at least 3-4x more in one load with my front loader. There is no agitator (?) in the middle taking up space like in a top loader. Another bonus in addition to the energy/water efficiency is that after the spin cycle, the clothes are sooooo much drier coming out of the front loader so they take 1/2 the amount of time in the actual dryer.
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • My next washer won't have an agitator.  It drives me nuts. 
  • FYI.....My top loader HE washer does not have the thingy in the middle either.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lily  pie Second Birthday tickers
  • I have a top loader HE washer that does not have an agitator.  Its great!  Love it!!!!! 
  • What I remember.....easier on clothes and more energy efficient, use less water.  The price has really gone down since we were looking, I would buy front loading if I needed on e now.
  • We bought ours for these reasons:

1. Uses less water  ( 14 gal vs 40+)

2. Heats its own water

3. Offers a "sanitize" wash (great for when I have bloody clothes from work)

4. Uses less detergent (u can use regular detergent and just put less in)

5. I'm short and cannot reach into a top loader without a step stool (at least for the bottom)

6. I LOVE my storage drawers...the fact that I don't have to bend over (pregnant or not, I have a bad back) to get my clothes out is AWESOME

7. Works amazing on my cloth diapers!

We have the Whirpool Duet....

The Knot won't share my Bump Siggy, so here's the low-down: 4/27/07 - Got engaged! 8/31/08 - Got married (to my best friend)! 12/30/08 - Got Pregnant! 9/3/09 - Welcome to the world, Elias Solomon! 8/16/10 - Got Pregnant, again! 5/14/11 - Welcome to the world, Talia Hadassah! 1/14/12 - Ready or not, here comes #3 (EDD 9/27/12)
  • I dream of having a regular washer and dryer one day ... front-loading, top-loading, I don't care.
    Photo by Everything Nice Photography
    My blog
  • We bought a set of LG front loader washer/dryer and honestly I hated the washer. It was such a PITA to keep the front where the door opens from getting moldy and seriously grossed me out. We ended up selling them and bought a set of top loader machines with a washer without the agitator and I'm so in love with them.
    Derek 6.30.09 & Parker 4.1.11
    Family
  • I have a top loader, and it does not have an agitator, and it is high-efficiency.  Didn't want the front loader, b/c honestly I hate leaning over to get the clothes out of the dryer!
    Jack 3.5.07 / Ethan 9.17.08 / Lauren 4.3.11 image
  • I have a front loader, it works fine, looks much cooler (blue color) and supposedly it is more energy efficient but I still hate doing laundry and still refuse to do a load of wash until I am down to only thong underwear that are clean.  So, I must agree, I don't know what the hype is despite owning one!
  • you can't open the washer on the front loader if you forget to put something in.  I am always adding one more thing to my washing machine!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"