D.C. Area Babies

anyone else have a problem with this?

Letting kids play "fake" beer pong and eat non-alcoholic jello shooters?

We know a couple who are big fans of college football and do a lot of tailgating. They take their 7 year old kid with them and basically get wasted right in front of him. And when they are done playing drinking games they let him play using soda instead of beer. And they make sure to make non-alcoholic jello shooters for him, while the adults eat the ones with vodka.

I'll be the first to admit that I looooove playing beer pong. And I definitely like to have a drink (or more...girls from the gtg can attest to that!) But I really, really don't see myself playing drinking games or getting drunk in front of Warner....I mean, if nothing else, he needs to learn to play beer pong on his own once he gets to college like I DH and I did!

I can't even articulate all the reasons this seems wrong to me...but maybe I'm being a prude...WDYT?

Re: anyone else have a problem with this?

• yes yes yes

that is so wrong on so many levels

a 7 y.o. will only remember doing shots with his parents, he is not going to remember what was in his shots or that he played with soda, he'll remember partying with his drunk parents

how horrible!

• This is SO wrong on so many levels.
  • Loading the player...
  • Yep, that's just not right. If I'm going to get drunk I get a babysitter.
  • image****AWS****:
    Yep, that's just not right. If I'm going to get drunk I get a babysitter.

ditto.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Whoa! Every parent has a right to their own way of doing things but I definitely won't be doing anything like that with my kids.

My only question, does he get to smoke fake cigarettes while playing beer pong? That would really complete the picture.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imagevtkendra:

My only question, does he get to smoke fake cigarettes while playing beer pong? That would really complete the picture.

Exactly! I think it sets a bad example. Plus, what happens when he has friends along? Do they get to take fake jello shots too? I'd be so mad if one of my DD's friend's parents let her "pretend" to drink!

Photobucket
  • That scares me on so many levels.  The impression it sets aside -  what happens if a kid falls and breaks his arm - how do they even take him to the hospital.  If I were them, I would have a healthy dose of fear for Child Protective Services.  It seems like a bad situation that can only get worse. 
  • Wow, yes I would have a major problem with this. I plan on showing my children how to be responsible with alcohol, not teaching them how to abuse it. We have wine or beer with dinner a couple times a week but on the rare occasion we plan on partying, we send them for a sleepover at Grandma and Grandpa's.
    Married 7.9.05
    DD1 9.24.06
    DS 7.1.08
    twins due 9.7.11 lost twin A at
    DD2 4.7.12
  • To me that is just setting that child up to think that that behavior is completely acceptable all the time.  A child does not know the difference between right and wrong unless you show them and these parents are certainly not and don't seem to care about the message they are sending their child.  I wouldn't be suprised if the child ends up headed down the wrong path in life if the parents don't start to make some better judgements/choices.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker TTC #1 Cycle #18 m/c Jan. 9, 2007, chemical pg May 4, 2007, methotrexate shot Oct. 5, 2007--m/c Oct. 9, 2007, IUI Nov. 17, 2007 It worked! beta 11/30 & 12/6 TTC #2 Cycle #5 IUI July 20, 2009 -BFN 8-3-09 Cycle #6 IUI August 17, 2009-BFP! 8-31-09, beta 9-1-09, 9-8-09, saw the H/B 9-22-09 EDD 5-10-10
  • Wow, they sound ready to have kids!  I don't even know what else to say.  Fake jello shots and beer pong?  Gross.

BabyFruit Ticker On our way to 3 under 4! DD1 1/22/09 DD2 7/16/10 Baby Boy Due This Summer!
  • Yikes.  I just can't for the life of me imagine thinking this is a good idea in any way, shape, or form.  I agree with the PP that kids need to see their parents model responsible drinking.

On a side note, this will show my age, but does anyone remember the fake candy cigarettes and bubblegum cigars that were sold many years ago?

• OK I would never get wasted in front of my child but don't look at my FB album where I gave my child a NA jello shot at a friend's bbq. :) 

Though they are young now, education is so important to drinking. Yes, I remember candy cigarrettes and the like, plus I sipped out of daddy's PBR when I was younger. I still survived though I do not like PBR.  

imageimage
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"