Baby Names

would this prevent you from using a name?

I love the name Molly, and have for a long time, but one of my friends has a dog name Molly and DH has a cousin named Molly. Would either of these things stop you from naming your DC a name you really liked? thanks!
Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: would this prevent you from using a name?

• No way!! My neice is Molly and its just a great name, I honestly think Molly IS a popular dog name anyway ...the cousin thing would be the only thing that would stop me, but not a big deal either!!
  • No, unless it was a cousin DH wasn't particularly found of. The dog thing wouldn't bother me. I know a lot of dogs with really cute names- including my own!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Wouldn't stop me at all.   If you like it go for it!  Think of all the dogs named Max and it is super popular now.  No biggie!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • The friend's dog having the same name wouldn't bother me. The cousin might depending upon how close you are to her. We really liked Luke but decided against having it on our list because my cousin named her son that (he's 6). We don't see them very often, but my Grandma on that side of the family only has 5 great-grandkids. For some reason, I just thought it would be weird if 2 of them were named Luke :)

ETA: I love Molly!

• Absolutely would not stop me.
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • That's the name my hubby and I are using if it's a girl (sonogram is next week)... apparently it's gotten very popular on the bump! I'm feeling less special now. *sobs hysterically*

I wouldn't worry about cousins or dogs. My hubby and I aren't close with our cousins, and I can't even name my parents cousins.

And the dogs... with some of the posts flying about, I suppose this is a sensitive topic. I, however, am not offended by people giving their pets people names, nor am I weirded out by people still choosing to use those names. Am a a crazy cat lady obsessed with my furry children? Not particularly. Do I want to call my cats names that I love and won't get tired of saying several times a day? You bet. For me, Whiskers and Pumpkin don't cut it. They are Jack and Chase, and I'm sorry if that bothers people.

• If you love the name, I think you should use it.  

Funnily enough, my name is Molly. And *my* cousin just named her dog that. So... it's almost the same situation but in reverse. :)

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • The dog wouldn't prevent me, but I'm not using any names in our family including DH's cousins so that would be a deal breaker for me. Dh's cousin is named Anna, which is one of my favorite girl names and I'm not considering it.
  • No
    Married 9-4-04

***PM me for my IF history***

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • No, that would not prevent me from using it.  I love the name, unfortunately I have already called me cat that....  Drat, I should have thought before naming my animals, because my dog has a name very close to what we would have wanted to call a boy but now can obviously not use it.
  • My name is Molly and I love my name.  I have only met two other females ever in my life with the same name as me.......outside of pets:)  I really didn't notice this until I was older though, and now I tease about it becuase almost everyone I know has or has known someone with a dog named Molly.  Still, I absolutely LOVE my name!!!!!!
  • The dog wouldn't but if it is a close cousin that you see at all family functions, that might.
    Married 5/31/08 * TTC#1 9/09 - 2/11
    after anovulatory diagnosis and TTC for 1 1/2yrs with several medicated cycles and one chemical pregnancy, we have our first bundle of joy!
    IT'S A GIRL!
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    #2 EDD 2/5/13 dx with anti-BIG E antibody, seeing a MFM
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
    VOTE on my Name List
    I don't take one single minute for granted.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"