North Carolina Babies

Anyone work in insurance?

I have a couple of questions regarding pre-existing conditions and stuff.  If anyone is around and could provide me some advice, I'd appreciate it

Re: Anyone work in insurance?

• I think MrsLee used to, but it will also depend on your policy too.  There are some HR ladies around here that can probably help too.  I have my insurance license, but it's property, not health.

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imagemrsmikey:
    I have my insurance license, but it's property, not health.

Same here...but I might be able to answer some of your questions. I used to deal with health insurance prior to property.

• Loading the player...
  • I worked at BCBS as a Businesss Analyst for a number of years.  I might be able to help you.
  • I work(ed) in employee benefits, and might be able to help too... I'm pretty sure anything regarding pre-existing conditions depends on your particular policy though.

photo c107d4aa-9909-4a33-b3bd-bd94168bd5fc.jpg

• Basically...I lose insurance today.  I'm currently being treated for PPD and Asthma, and I just wonder if I have a lapse in coverage is that going to mean those things won't be covered because of being considered pre-existing?
  • There will probably be a time period you're allowed, I think most policies are 60 days.  So if you get new insurance before then you'll be ok.  If not, then maybe.  But it's usually only not covered for a certain period of time, like 12 months.  It really depends on your new policy, which obviously you don't have or have no way of knowing.

Have you looked into getting something like BCBS until you can get insurance again?  Even if you get an uber-cheap policy that doesn't cover anything, it will still mean you're insured and won't have to worry about pre-e conditions when you get new insurance.  They also have 90 day policies for super cheap.  I got one when I was laid off until I got a new job.  If you still don't have new insurance by then, you can get one of their regular policies.  I think my 90 day policy was like $150 total.  It didn't cover much, but I just got it for the sake of having insurance.

• imagemrsmikey:

Have you looked into getting something like BCBS until you can get insurance again?  Even if you get an uber-cheap policy that doesn't cover anything, it will still mean you're insured and won't have to worry about pre-e conditions when you get new insurance.  They also have 90 day policies for super cheap.  I got one when I was laid off until I got a new job.  If you still don't have new insurance by then, you can get one of their regular policies.  I think my 90 day policy was like $150 total.  It didn't cover much, but I just got it for the sake of having insurance.

ditto this, i have a 6 month policy through assurant.com.  it's an OK policy, but at least it's something.  i pay $70/mo.
    Baby Charchie born 12/22/2011
  • I have zero professional background in this, but my understanding is that if you go from group coverage to group coverage, you'll usually be OK (though possibly with a delay as pp said), but if individual coverage is involved they can call it a pre-existing condition.  Good luck!
    Pregnant with #1 with PCOS and LPD, success with mostly naturopathic treatments
    Our Thanksgiving Day baby 11/22/07

imageimageimage

Pregnant with #2 with LPD, uterine polyp/hysteroscopy, DOR (AMH = 0.17), 2 c/ps
    Our early Christmas present 12/9/10
  • imagealchris:
    I have zero professional background in this, but my understanding is that if you go from group coverage to group coverage, you'll usually be OK (though possibly with a delay as pp said), but if individual coverage is involved they can call it a pre-existing condition.  Good luck!

That is also true depending on the policy.  That is the law anyway.  But from personal experience most policies will waive pre-e conditions as long as you had some kind of insurance, group or personal.  The law is that if you go from group to group with no lapse over 60 days, then they can't call it pre-e.  It's up to the company otherwise.

• According to DH you will probably be able to get an individual policy you will just be rated at a higher level which in turn will cost you more.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"