Breastfeeding

Those w/ six weekers

How often do you nurse and for how long etc We are still supplementing until ds's 8 week apt and I was just curious because Ds seems to only eat maybe 10-15 minutes per breast and sometimes doesn't take both breasts but will take the 2 2 1/2 oz's of formula. It also seems now he's taking longer to poop where as before when we were strictly breastfeeding he'd go everyday at least. We have only been supplementing almost 2 weeks.
Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Those w/ six weekers

• We are still nursing every 2 hours (2 hours from end of one feeding to the beginning of next) during the day.  At night, she she sleeps a 5 hour stretch and feeds and then does a 3 hour strech before the next feeding. I talked to pedi at DD1s 3-year checkup yesterday and he said it's a good idea to keep her on the every 2 hour schedule during the day for a few more weeks since she's sleeping pretty well at night.  She typically eats 10-15 minutes on one side only, so we just alternate sides.

Can I ask why you are supplementing?  If he's eating 10-15 minutes each side, even if he's not eating both sides, it sounds pretty typical.  Does he get super hungry if you don't give the formula?

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • imageCowboysWife04:

We are still nursing every 2 hours (2 hours from end of one feeding to the beginning of next) during the day.  At night, she she sleeps a 5 hour stretch and feeds and then does a 3 hour strech before the next feeding. I talked to pedi at DD1s 3-year checkup yesterday and he said it's a good idea to keep her on the every 2 hour schedule during the day for a few more weeks since she's sleeping pretty well at night.  She typically eats 10-15 minutes on one side only, so we just alternate sides.

We are doing the exact same thing and DS's night time pattern is very similar. Except DS must be hungrier (or less efficient) because he usually nurses 20-30 minutes, mostly one side and topping off with the other.

I'm still an amateur at this, but I'm also wondering why you're supplementing? That seems a little odd that he's nursing for that long and still takes 2.5 oz (isn't the average "meal" at this stage only 3 oz?). Do you think he has latch issues that are preventing him from actually getting what he needs when he nurses?
    The DC Nest. Winers welcome.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • I am feeding her every 2-3 hours during the day and she will do 2 4-5 hour stretches at night. When I feed her she eats for 20-30 off the first side and then 10-15 off the second side, but my daughter likes to pacify at the breast. Our poopies have changed, it seemed in the beginning she would have almost constant smaller poops but now we are going longer between poops but they are much larger in quantity.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"