Georgia Babies

S/O Daycare....

Did you hear the story about the woman (in MI, I think) who was told not to watch her neighbors kids by the state? 

They moved the bus schedule up an hour, so she offered to let the kids stay at her home in the AM so the parents could get to work on time.  She gets them onto the bus and they just play together at her house until the bus comes.     She did this for free. 

But the state stepped in and said she is running an un-licensed day care in her home and to cease and desist.   Are you kidding me?   The parents are outraged that the state is basically telling them who can (or cannot) watch their children.

Isn't it sickening how ludicrous our maternity leave is in the US and at the same time it is impossible to afford to go back to work?  And now this state is basically telling these parents to go pay for a licensed day care to watch their kids for an hour each day.   Ridiculous.

I am not meaning this post to be anti-government but the truth is, sometimes the government agencies do not think before they react.  Like this and like the story in AZ about the family who got in trouble for the bath time photos.    Why does it seem like people trying to do the right thing get in trouble and those taking advantage of the system don't? 

Re: S/O Daycare....

• My goodness! This is absolutely going too far! I can't believe that the government gets in the way on small items like this.
  • Seriously? So that means that if I have a standing date night with DH once a week and have a free babysitter (aka as Grandma) that would be illegal? Give me a friggin' break. What is so shocking is that it could go so far. You'd hope that the people in higher positions would can the dumb asses that start this BS. Craziness!
  • Loading the player...
  • What an absolute and utter WASTE of taxpayer dollars and child protective services' time.  Heaven forbid that a neighbor do something nice to help another neighbor out!
    "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Gah, this makes me so mad.  For most of my life, my grandmother has kept "kids" of some sort- either babies and toddlers or neighbor kids getting off the bus in the afternoon or special needs adults.  And she has always done it for hardly any pay or free- that's just the type of person she is and it has really shaped me and my siblings and all of our cousins that we have a very broad family mentality.  Most of these "kids" are a part of our family to this day.  They call my grandparents Mawmaw and Grandad and some even spend holidays with us.  When one of her special needs kids was killed in a car accident, my ENTIRE family was at the funeral and we grieved as if we lost one of our own.  These types of laws are not only stupid but actually harmful to society because they discourage common decency among neighbors.  Shame on them.

• Yes, this is stupid government intervention.

but:

#1 - Paid Maternity Leave / Forcing Employers to provide "better" benefits - I am personally against this.  It creates an unfair tax burden on the rest of the population.

#2 - Affordable daycare - Again, a parental/familial obligation.  Not a taxpayer one.

Having children is a personal/familial decision and should not "cost" the government (aka taxpayers) additional money to provide daycare and/or maternity benefits. There are already government and taxpayer funded programs for those who live in poverty and paying just for this segment of the population is exorbitant.  It is fantasy to think that just because the government is going to step in and use its police power to either a) force employers to provide better maternity benefits and/or b) subsidize or provide daycare for children with working parents that you (the citizen taxpayer) will get to "keep" your money.  It will go to the government for them to decide how to spend (read: waste).  Chances are neither you nor your child will receive any real benefit and you will have even LESS money for your family.

• I haven't read the story but do we know if the the neighbor lady was watching 6 or more kids before school?  I do think they is a law against that....not sure though.
  • imageladybugDZ:
    I haven't read the story but do we know if the the neighbor lady was watching 6 or more kids before school?  I do think they is a law against that....not sure though.

I don't know; I know that the state law for daycares in GA is that if the children are under 1 year old, the ratio of adults to children has to be 1:6 (it's 1:8 for older children, and both of those are RIDICULOUSLY high anyways).  Honestly, though, some of the licensing requirements for daycares are utterly absurd.  

"You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Sounds like it was only 3 kids plus her own.  But, apparently, there's a law in Michigan prohibiting any person not related to a child from watching the child more than 4 weeks per year, or something like that.  A neighbor complained and that's why the woman watching the kids received a cease and desist letter.  The governor and other law makers are trying to get the law changed because it's antiquated.
  • how can they call her a "daycare" if she is not taking money..bizarro!
    Pregnancy Ticker

DD- 9
    DS-6
    c/p- April 2016
    missed m/c- 6w5d; discovered 8w2d- September 2016

• imagebentpinkies:
    Sounds like it was only 3 kids plus her own.  But, apparently, there's a law in Michigan prohibiting any person not related to a child from watching the child more than 4 weeks per year, or something like that.  A neighbor complained and that's why the woman watching the kids received a cease and desist letter.  The governor and other law makers are trying to get the law changed because it's antiquated.

Ahhhh, I see.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"