Preemies
Options

I am so conflicted on the H1N1 vaccine for DD

I realize I'm beating a dead horse here, but honestly, I just can't make up my mind if Aubrey should get the H1N1 vaccine.  Her pedi is pushing for it.  Mostly because we have no choice but to travel with Aubrey to the Children's Hospital in St. Paul (6 hours away) several times this winter.  We'll even have to have her in a hotel room on those trips.  Beyond those  trips Aubrey will spend the winter in a bubble - no daycare, no going out periond.  Every time I think I've made up my mind, I read something that makes me completely rethink my decission.  Any thoughts?  Aubrey is getting her regular flu shot today and it looks good that she will get approved for Synagis shots (fingers crossed).

Re: I am so conflicted on the H1N1 vaccine for DD

• Options

We're going to do it. But Robbie's in daycare, so his risk is much higher. I don't think there is a good answer. For most people, it's probably fine not to get it, but the people who are at risk are our kids..

It's so hard to know what's right to do.

• Options
    I feel your pain!  I'm going back and forth on this one too.  Keira has chronic lung disease and spent her first year on oxygen.  Although she doesn't need supplemental O2 now, H1N1 could be devastating to her.  I'm a stay at home mom so she's not in daycare, but my (almost) 3 year old is in preschool so I'm sure a lot of germs are going to be brought into the house.  Our pedi is pushing for it too.  Just when I think I've made up my mind for her to get it, I read something on the internet or Facebook or whatever with people posting all the reasons why NOT to get it.  AHHHHHHHHHH!
    Claire Avery born at 32 weeks on 10/25/06 Keira Leigh born at 27 weeks on 4/29/08
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

We are going to get it.  We have a nanny and will go into "hibernation" very soon but we are still going to get it.  IMO, the flu vaccine is a fairly safe vaccine, and the H1N1 vaccine is really just a different strain of the same vaccine they already know how to make.

In my mind, the benefits far outweigh the risks.  In other words, I think the chance of Jake getting seriously ill from contracting H1N1 is much more likely than the chance that he will have a bad reaction to the vaccine.

• Options
    It is a really hard decision and there is so much conflicting info out there.  I am getting it for DS.  I went back and forth for a while, but H1N1 seems so scary and it seems like alot of people are getting pneumonia from it.  My DS is 4 and is around kids in church and playgroup.  As much as I want to just hibernate with him I know that I have to let him be "normal".  I feel like he needs to get the vaccine.  Ultimately you need to make the choice that you feel is best for you and your DD.
    Kelly, Mom to Noah 8.27.05 (born at 26 weeks)
  • Options

I'm on the fence about it as an adult. I'm thinking if/when it is avaliable I will get it since I will be in the SCN everyday. Although we think we have already had H1N1 in our family since we were all so sick and had H1N1 symptoms (wasnt confirmed though) I AM getting the regular flu shot in a few weeks since it's provided for healthcare employees and again I don't want to risk bringing flu into the SCN.

Does anyone know about the RSV vaccine? Is it avaliable to adults? Should I look into that too? Although RSV will do nothing serious to me I don't want to risk getting it, thinking it's "just a cold" and pass it onto the preemie babies..  Any advice would be appreciated!

Our Girls
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    AquinnahDori
    "Just keep swimming, just keep swimming..."
  • Options
    imagehoping4more:

I'm on the fence about it as an adult. I'm thinking if/when it is avaliable I will get it since I will be in the SCN everyday. Although we think we have already had H1N1 in our family since we were all so sick and had H1N1 symptoms (wasnt confirmed though) I AM getting the regular flu shot in a few weeks since it's provided for healthcare employees and again I don't want to risk bringing flu into the SCN.

Does anyone know about the RSV vaccine? Is it avaliable to adults? Should I look into that too? Although RSV will do nothing serious to me I don't want to risk getting it, thinking it's "just a cold" and pass it onto the preemie babies..  Any advice would be appreciated!

the RSV shots aren't a vaccine. They just help lesson the severity of the virus if it is contracted. It binds with the proteins of the virus keeping them from replicating so easily. And no, I've never heard of them being given to an adult. They're extremely difficult to get approved for even for premature kids. We're not even sure Robbie will get them this year and he's a former 26 weeker whose had 2 wheezing illnesses this summer. The shots are about 1500-2000/month for a kid (would be more for an adult because they're weight based) so I don't know if an insurance company would ever approve them for an adult.

• Options
    We're getting the H1N1 vaccine...DS doesn't go anywhere, he's not in daycare, but even though we wash our hands a LOT, I'm afraid we (DH or I) will bring it home from somewhere (grocery, work, etc.)!
  • Options
    Thank you for the info triciajoy!
    Our Girls
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    AquinnahDori
    "Just keep swimming, just keep swimming..."
  • Options
    I'd do it. Even a couple trips like that, which are mandatory would be enough to convince me.
    Emma - March '08 Quinn - August '11
    Need help with high fat food ideas? Chunky Monkey
  • Options
    I spoke to my dr. and our pedi about it and she said she is ultra conservative and would never advise getting this unless she felt it was ultra important.  Our pedi says that it is made exactly the way the regular flu vaccine is made, but with the dead form of the swine... not at all like it was made when it was recalled in the 70's.  She also feels like it will wipe through this part of the country so fast this winter, so many people will get it, and the most affected and thus most dangerous if it were to affect them are babies and pregnant women.  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"