Preemies

On-demand feeding schedule issues

What do you do when your preemie doesn't let you know when she wants to eat? I just started breastfeeding my 32 wk preemie DD last week (when she was 34 weeks). They had her feeding every 3 hours (I am staying in the step-down pediatric unit with her).  For the past few days she has been on an "on demand" feeding schedule, not going over 4 hours between feedings.  My problem is...she never gives cues that she's hungry, not until I actually wake her up and am about to put her on the breast.  So, now she is getting fed every 4 hours...and she lost weight the other night, probably because she is getting fed less often!  Yesterday I just started feeding her every 3 hours again, since she doesn't seem to want to let me know when she's hungry anyway.  Anyone else have issues with on-demand feeding?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: On-demand feeding schedule issues

• This was an issue we had.  Still today, he is a very quiet signaller.  He grunts a little and squirms....that is it.  Imagine the NICU nurses putting him on a demand schedule and then not hearing him especially when there are walers in there!  While in the NICU we were on a 3 hour feed/care schedule and he would quietly wake right before feeding, but if you were not in the room, you would never know it.  When he went on demand, same thing...but when he went home I was ready to set my alarm in the middle of thr night, but he surprised me by always beating it !  Good luck, I know it isn't easy
  • I'm sorry I don't know the answer to this question, but, is your preemie still in the hospital?   Right?

Our son didn't really cue until he reached his due date.  Then, it was like a light switch - he started to cry (really loud) when he was hungry, and once he reached that point, he started taking bottles even better and came home within a week.

Once Andrew reached a few weeks old (adjusted), then he got more patient, and just sucks his thumb quietly when he wakes up, or sometimes doesn't cue much at all (unless he's just ravenous).  I more or less feed him by the clock - every 3 hours.  It's easier for me that way. 

• Loading the player...
  • Yep, still in the hospital, in the step-down unit. They pretty much leave it to me to handle her feedings since I am bfing and am here 24/7. I'm just going to stick with the 3 hour schedule for now.  But, the pediatrician did tell me to start the on demand schedule...but thats not working yet. I just wanted some reassurance that I'm not missing something!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Nope - I think when your LO is a little older the on-demand will be easier.  We were also "on demand" but I still had to watch the clock since he didn't always cue!
  • imagelemen99:
    Nope - I think when your LO is a little older the on-demand will be easier.  We were also "on demand" but I still had to watch the clock since he didn't always cue!

i agree...we still have very quiet cue-ing.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"