South Florida Babies

how much formula at 10 months old?

Just curious how many ounces of formula you're feeding your 10 month olds?

I am trying to cut out the bottle right before bed, instead giving Zachary the bottle about 1.5 hours or so beforehand and letting him have water before he goes to sleep if he needs it. It's tough!!!! I did not realize how much he had gotten used to that bedtime bottle.

However, it's another step towards getting rid of bottles all together which I want to do by 1 year (my mom REALLY disagrees with me on this - apparently I was one of those kids dragging a bottle around by age 3, omg how awful!!!!!)

He typically has around 3 or 4 bottles per day with 8 or 9 ounces, and he also drinks a sippy or two of water. Is this about the same as what your LO's are having?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker

My Blog: SIREN.ORG!

Re: how much formula at 10 months old?

• Zoe was getting 4 7oz bottles until around 9 months. She never had more than 30oz in a day. By the time she was getting close to cutting out bottles, she was down to 3 sippy's of 6oz a day, maybe that was around 11 months. That's also because she was eating a lot more table foods.
  • At Nicky's 9 month well visit, my pedi had told me to expect him to cut back on his formula dramatically by 10-11 months old and he did.  By 10 months old he was eating three meals a day and two small snacks inbetween, so he would take 4 oz of formula with each of his snacks and and 8 oz bottle at night. 16 oz total.

• Loading the player...
  • Kate gets an 8oz. sippy of milk with every meal - so three a day (24oz total).  She gets water in between.  We never did a night time bottle with her because, well, we learned a lot from our experiences with Noah.  Taking that last bottle from him was hard.  Kate has been off of bottles since 10/11 months but I'm pretty sure that's because she has Noah to show her what to do (she once found a sippy of his with juice and she hasn't wanted a bottle since, I think she's still looking for one with juice!)

How long after dinner does Zachary go to bed?  Kate eats around 5:30/6pm and afterwards has a bath, plays a bit, we read, and she's in bed by 7/7:30pm.  Since her last sippy is with dinner she's not hungry by bed time.

Good luck!  HTH!

• abby doesn't drink that much formula anymore, actually.  she drinks about 14-16 oz a day.  she has 4 oz at 10 am, 4 oz at 3 pm and a 6-8 oz night bottle.  we're cutting out the midday bottles first, starting with the 3 pm one, and replacing it with whole milk and a sippy.  we'll slowly wean from the nighttime one, but as long as i keep it to bedtime only, i don't think it'll be that bad.  i really don't want abby to be the 3 year old with a bottle and a binky!!  lol
  • imageSnshine:

Kate gets an 8oz. sippy of milk with every meal - so three a day (24oz total).  She gets water in between.  We never did a night time bottle with her because, well, we learned a lot from our experiences with Noah.  Taking that last bottle from him was hard.  Kate has been off of bottles since 10/11 months but I'm pretty sure that's because she has Noah to show her what to do (she once found a sippy of his with juice and she hasn't wanted a bottle since, I think she's still looking for one with juice!)

How long after dinner does Zachary go to bed?  Kate eats around 5:30/6pm and afterwards has a bath, plays a bit, we read, and she's in bed by 7/7:30pm.  Since her last sippy is with dinner she's not hungry by bed time.

Good luck!  HTH!

we're the same way- dinner at around 5:30, bath, play a bit, we read an then in bed by 7-7:15.   and she eats a lot at dinner!!  she eats a full stage 2 veggie/meat (we're slowly getting her to eat "real" food- we're doing 2 meals a day now) and a full stage 2 fruit, plus about 1 1/2 oz of cheese and some whole wheat crackers.  and she STILL wants a 6-8 oz bottle at 7!  but she won't take anymore food at dinner.  my child is a glutton lol

• We also do dinner with milk so there is no bedtime "bottle" or "sippy". She gets dinner at 5pm usually 3oz of chicken or meat and some fruit (since she will not touch a vegetable) and a 6oz sippy of milk. Then she's in bed by 6pm, so no need for anything more to drink.
  • I have actually been really frustrated because Zachary has not wanted to eat lately. He'll eat some jar food & applesauce & his chicken nuggets & gerber snacks and cheese, and some pasta, but there isn't that much lately that strikes his fancy. 

He is really teething his top 2 teeth now so I suspect that's part of the issue but I'm having a hard time feeding him even oatmeal. My mom can feed him oatmeal til he's blue in the face but he hates it when I make it. :(

Also as far as his bedtime, he wakes up around 8am & goes to bed at 8:30-9:30. He has dinner at about 5 & has his last bottle at about 7:30. He has an insane amount of energy & most days only naps once for about 1.5 hours. It's hard keeping up with him sometimes!! :)   

Pregnancy Ticker

• imagekarenlisaphoto:
    I have actually been really frustrated because Zachary has not wanted to eat lately. He'll eat some jar food & applesauce & his chicken nuggets & gerber snacks and cheese, and some pasta, but there isn't that much lately that strikes his fancy. 

He is really teething his top 2 teeth now so I suspect that's part of the issue but I'm having a hard time feeding him even oatmeal. My mom can feed him oatmeal til he's blue in the face but he hates it when I make it. :(

Also as far as his bedtime, he wakes up around 8am & goes to bed at 8:30-9:30. He has dinner at about 5 & has his last bottle at about 7:30. He has an insane amount of energy & most days only naps once for about 1.5 hours. It's hard keeping up with him sometimes!! :)   

Hmm. It may be easier to take away that last bottle if you either push his dinner a little later or move his bedtime to 8pm. He may actually eat more if he is a little hungrier. That helped us.

Sophie eats dinner between 5:30pm and 6pm and is in bed around 8pm each night. Most nights she does not even take a sippy of milk before bed anymore. I am trying to wean her of it entirely so that it makes potty training easier and she stays dry at night. GL!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • When I saw Max's dr last week, I asked him about Max not drinking formula anymore. He said it is preferred, but if he wasnt taking it any longer, that whole milk and vitamins was ok. We've opted to do whole milk with a scoop of formula in it, and he is still drinking that just as well as the whole milk. I'm trying to offer him as much formula a day as I can, I just know that he needs the nutrition as much as he can get it. In total, he probably gets about 6-7 oz of formula a day.
  • imageMellyMelB:
    imagekarenlisaphoto:
    I have actually been really frustrated because Zachary has not wanted to eat lately. He'll eat some jar food & applesauce & his chicken nuggets & gerber snacks and cheese, and some pasta, but there isn't that much lately that strikes his fancy. 

Hmm. It may be easier to take away that last bottle if you either push his dinner a little later or move his bedtime to 8pm. He may actually eat more if he is a little hungrier. That helped us.

Sophie eats dinner between 5:30pm and 6pm and is in bed around 8pm each night. Most nights she does not even take a sippy of milk before bed anymore. I am trying to wean her of it entirely so that it makes potty training easier and she stays dry at night. GL!

Mel, there was actually ANOTHER last bottle at 8:30 when he went to sleep. Yes, an hour and a half after his "last" bottle, he wanted another one.

When he wakes up in the morning, he is a CRYING, SCREAMING little infant until he gets his formula. I don't know how you guys are giving breakfast and then giving a bottle at 10am or something. Zachary will not eat a drop of food until he has that bottle. Here is an example of a day (after taking away the bedtime bottle):

8am - wake up, have a bottle
    10am - have breakfast, which he usually doesn't eat much of, and I either eat myself or throw out
    11am - have a snack
    --- pray that he naps sometime here for 30 min so I can relax or get some work done ---
    1pm - bottle
    2pm - lunch
    -- usually there is a nap around this time --
    4pm - half a bottle
    5:30pm - other half of bottle & dinner
    7pm - snack & more bottle
    -- bedtime stuff ---
    8:30pm - bed, which until the other night was also accompanied by YET ANOTHER 9 OUNCE BOTTLE!!!!!

He is also a big kid (24lb and 31in - bigger than lots of other 10mo old babies I know!), I wonder if his size has to do with how much formula he needs still?

Pregnancy Ticker

• At this age is when you are supposed to switch, and start to always offer food first. Maybe thats why it was easier for others, Max has always gotten food first, then his bottle. Now he always gets a sippy of milk with his meals. I try to make his snacks during the day a combo of dairy and fruit to make sure hes getting in his dairy. Also, I dont think weight is taken into account for how much formula a baby  needs to drink. Its a general guideline according to the age of the baby. If he's drinking that much milk still, try offering more food, food you know that he likes so that he eats more of it. If he only sees food and hes hungry, he's gonna eat!
  • I will start trying that. It  is just really frustrating because he only wants the milk in the morning and refuses to eat food until later on. He will slam his hands on the high chair tray and feed the food to the dog!!!

Pregnancy Ticker

• imagekarenlisaphoto:
    I will start trying that. It  is just really frustrating because he only wants the milk in the morning and refuses to eat food until later on. He will slam his hands on the high chair tray and feed the food to the dog!!!

Maybe he is thirsty? Try a little water in a sippy right before breakfast and see if he will eat his food after that.

• It is hard since you have always been offering the bottle first. I did it the opposite way, food first, then bottle, and eventually cut the bottle out and replace it with sippy. I agree to try some water in a sippy with breakfast and THEN the formula.
  • imagekarenlisaphoto:
    I will start trying that. It  is just really frustrating because he only wants the milk in the morning and refuses to eat food until later on. He will slam his hands on the high chair tray and feed the food to the dog!!!

we had that issue with abby for a few days when we first made the switch.  she would outright refuse to eat.  so... i mean, i know it sound horrible, but... well, I just said "ok" and i either left her in her high chair or put her in the play area until she would start whining.  then, i would sit her in the high chair again and try with solids.  she as hungry, she ate.  sometimes i have to maneuver a spoon into her mouth because she'll fight me, but the second she gets that first bite, it's fine after. 

if he's hungry, he'll eventually eat.  the first few days are the hardest and i was at wits end trying to get her to eat.   but now it's getting easier.  good luck, karen, and if you need anything at all, feel free to call me during the day!! i'm home with abby!  let me know if you need anything at all :)

• Thanks everyone. All of these suggestions have been really helpful.

He actually has no problem drinking from a sippy interestingly enough. I have been using Bornfree training sippys and the Nuby sippy for a while now but I just don't have enough of them (and I don't do my dishes every other day either) so unlike the 12 bottles I have, I run out of sippy's faster and have to switch back to bottles. But I made the decision I am going to get rid of the bottles and just go buy a bunch of sippy cups this week because I'm sick of it. I want him to use the sippy.

I just wonder about why he wants to drink SO much formula during the day especially when he also drinks about 2 sippys full of water. Why is he this thirsty? When he has 4 bottles a day that's 32-37 oz of formula a day!! That is a lot of formula especially in comparison to what your kids are drinking at the same age. I know all kids are different, maybe there is a reason he needs so much right now. I am going to try not to be too concerned about it until these top teeth come in since he seems to not want to eat his table food due to teething pain, and I'm guessing he's just making up the difference with formula.

Tonight for dinner I was able to get him to have 1 stage 2 jar of carrots, 1 chicken nugget, and an applesauce. He also had a few chunks of cheese and some puffs. And 9oz of formula in a sippy. So at least he had a pretty balanced dinner. If only I could get his other meals to be that balanced!!!

Tomorrow morning.... I am going to try water in a sippy first thing, and then we will try breakfast! Wish me luck!!!!

Pregnancy Ticker

• Brody is on 24 oz a day...and I think trying to give up one bottle he does 4  bottles of 6 ounces but lately he has been fussing with the night and afternoon bottle...Hes a pretty decent eater..I think I need to get with it..Im just nervous with the whole choking thing so I worry when I give him table food even though he ate a slice of pizza like a champ tonight :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"