Two Under 2

Giving attention to both children...

I feel like my newborn doesn't get the same amount of attention as my son did when he was born.  He was my only child and I could spend the whole day holding him and talking to him, etc. 

Now that I have two and my son is only 14 months old...I feel like DD spends more time in her pack and play, or bouncy chair than my son ever did.  I try and wear DD in the wrap as much as I can, but I can't do that all the time.

I know she is fine, but I still feel bad.  My toddler seems fine with me just reading him a story when I am breastfeeding my daughter.  I feel like he still gets quite a bit of attention...but I just feel like I don't give her as much one on one time. 

I know I am rambling (tired!) but how do the rest of you deal with the division of attention?  She has me all to herself at night once DS is asleep so I guess that is good.

Re: Giving attention to both children...

• Im sure you're doing fine! Dont be so hard on yourself, you only have 2 hands..The good thing is that she wont remember anything nor feel neglected whereas your son can DEF feel the lack of attention...According to everything Ive read/heard your attention should stay on your toddler while still managing your newborns physical needs...It gets WAY easier everyday as your #2 grows and changes...I cant believe its been 5 mos TODAY for me!
  • By doing exactly what you are doing.  Like pp said, it's more important to give that attention to your DS.  And remember this -- that your DD is also getting attention from your DS as well.  Your DS had only you and your DH.  Honestly, I still struggle with the same feelings but you just tend to snatch the one on one time for each of the kids as you can get it and revel in it all the more for its scarcity.

DD -- 5YO
    DS -- 3YO

• Loading the player...
  • I'm glad to have read what the other posters wrote.

I'm planning on having DH take DS out once in a while and sometimes myself take him out so both children will get one and one time with both of us.

Also, DS will still go to day care one day a week.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"