Pregnant after 35

First time here, have a question how to get my body ready?

I just turned 38yrs old my dh and I want to have another baby.  About 3 1/2 months ago I had a miscarriage.   Went to my doctor and told her we wanted to start trying and she gave me a rx for prenatal vitamins.

Besides the vitamins what should I do to prepare my body?  First time around I really didnt do anything special but I feel because i'm older I should be doing more.       Any suggestions, does diet matter?  ARe there certain foods I should be eating or not eating?          I didnt think of that until now when at a party I heard a girl saying she had to get her body ready because she wanted to get pregnant next year.

thanks

Re: First time here, have a question how to get my body ready?

• Cut out caffeine and if you drink alcohol limit it. Exercise too!
  • I would also say to exercise and eat a healthy diet. Not sur ewhat else you can do other than that and the vitamins.
  • Loading the player...
  • Hi there. I honestly didn't give up or change too much. I did limit my caffeine to one cup a day and took a yoga class.

I think it just depends on your lifesytle prior to ttc. It took us 14 months to get pg so I am not sure if giving up something would have helped sooner? I will never know. Good luck.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Never heard of getting your body ready...but i would think a healthy diet is a good place to start. Also, if you are underweight at all, i'd try to put on some healthy pounds. I've heard that it is harder to get/stay pg if you are very underweight.
  • imageshimmerairbrush:
    Never heard of getting your body ready...but i would think a healthy diet is a good place to start. Also, if you are underweight at all, i'd try to put on some healthy pounds. I've heard that it is harder to get/stay pg if you are very underweight.

Ahhhh that is probably what she meant because she is " very " thin and  has been told she should gain some weight, but I never understood why her dh would tell her that.  Now I know thanks

• imagePuckchick07:
    Cut out caffeine and if you drink alcohol limit it. Exercise too!

This, but I'd say limiting your caffeine would be ok. Then again I loves me some coffee.

Also, indulge in a little bit of full fat dairy.  

• I started on pre-natal's, cut down on the wine (from a glass a night to one a week), cut out almost all the caffeine and I did a pre-conception visit with my doctor.  She checked for the basic's to make sure there were no fibroids or other obvious impediments to fertility and I also has a cistic fibrosis screen to make sure I was not a carrier before we started trying.  Just a note - It took two different Dr's before I found one that didn't mock my pre-conception planning so keep this in mind if you feel you are getting any kind of brush off.  ( the first basically asked me if I knew how babies are made - apparently planning is not all that common in these parts :))
  • I see loads of good advice here, all I can think of to add is folic acid!  Folic acid is supposed to help decrease spinal defects, but it's one of those things you should start taking before you get pregnant.  Yoga's great all through pregnancy, if you don't already do yoga.

Good luck!

You are likely to be eaten by a grue. Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"