North Carolina Babies
Options

Terrifying morning walk

I couldn't resist a long walk this morning to enjoy the fresh fall air, but it turned into a nightmare!  I encountered 2 loose dogs that charged me while walking with Emily.  I had seen them loose before and planned to call Animal Control but I was forced to call 911 as they charged me.  I had no where to go so all I could do was pray they'd keep their distance.  I knew from watching too many episodes of "The Dog Whisperer" that their stance and barks weren't "we're happy to see you" or "play with me."  They were acting very aggressive.  I slowly started backing up without turning my back while trying to think of a safe place to go to (of course no one is home nearby).  Thankfully while I was on the phone with the police a car drove by (completely ignoring my desperate situation) and the dogs decided to chase it.  I decided to file a complaint since they acted aggressively. 

It looks like I'll have to start carrying DH's dog spray that he usually takes when he bikes.   Although in today's situation I'm not sure how I could have handled it differently.  I never felt unsafe before, but now I've got to seriously think about my future morning walks.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Terrifying morning walk

• Options
    OMG. Where were you? I saw you this morning almost at the Target, we were driving by. Scary. We are about to go out for a walk and now I am freaked. I saw a police care circle our street earlier. Freaky.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I love dogs but I would have freaked out too.  Sad sorry you had a crappy walk...
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Just saw your email. SCARY!!
  • Options

Sad I'm glad you guys stayed safe!

DH makes me carry pepper spray when I run now due to some encounters w/ dogs, a couple weeks ago I had one try to bite my leg.  What kind of spray is the dog spray?  I've never heard of one specifically for dogs, I'd rather not have the pepper spray and have something a little less potent if possible.

Baby Charchie born 12/22/2011
  • Options
    Scary!  We have a few dogs in the area that would get out of their invisible fence (i.e. their owners didn't put their collars on) and would try to jump up on me while I was pg with Natalie when I'd go out for my walks.  Scared the crap out of me!  I would have called the cops and complained too.  I hope they find the dogs and get them back to their homes so they're not tormenting you any more.
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imageuncharch7:

Sad I'm glad you guys stayed safe!

DH makes me carry pepper spray when I run now due to some encounters w/ dogs, a couple weeks ago I had one try to bite my leg.  What kind of spray is the dog spray?  I've never heard of one specifically for dogs, I'd rather not have the pepper spray and have something a little less potent if possible.

He has "HALT" dog repellent spray (which I think is just pepper spray).  He got it from Performance Bicycles.

https://www.performancebike.com/bikes//Product_10052_10551_1031142_-1___

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Very scary!  Glad you're ok!

Baby J is here! Born on her mama's birthday.

11 pounds, 7 ounces and 23" long at birth!

My Bio

• Options
    imageJules_NC:

He has "HALT" dog repellent spray (which I think is just pepper spray).  He got it from Performance Bicycles.

https://www.performancebike.com/bikes//Product_10052_10551_1031142_-1___

thanks!
    Baby Charchie born 12/22/2011
  • Options
    Scary!  Especially since you were w/ Emily... I'd have freaked out. I'm glad everything turned out okay, and you're smart to call the cops.
  • Options
    Wow, scary!!!!!

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

My Sweet Girls

• Options
    That's very scary.  I worry about this happening to us.  I need to buy some of the spray you mentioned!
  • Options
    OMG so glad you guys are ok.  DH carries a knife when we go for walks for this reason.  He wants me to carry the hand gun when I go by myself, but we don't have a concealed permit so I am nervous about it.
  • Options
    Very scary! I'm glad you're ok!

photo c107d4aa-9909-4a33-b3bd-bd94168bd5fc.jpg

• Options

Geeeeeeeeeeez, I'm glad you're ok! ?How terrifying! ?This sort of happened to me when North was a newborn and some neighbor's dogs charged towards us as I wore him on a walk. ?The difference is, I started yelling at the dogs, maybe swearing? And then I could hear the owners calling for the dogs behind some trees. ?The dogs weren't listening though and started jumping up at North. ?In that moment, I started kicking dogs. ?I'm not a ninja or anything, but I just kicked them away from us until the lazy owners finally decided to drag them off. ?

?

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"