Preemies
Options

sleeping through the night

How old was your preemie when he/she began sleeping through the night?  Our babies are 6 weeks old, 37 weeks gestation.  One baby is home with us.  I know I hear typically babies start STTN around 2-3 months, but what about with preemies?  I'm not expecting it anytime soon of course I'm just curious how it differs.  Right now, he's on a feed on demand schedule and eats about every 4 hours, overnight he did go 5 hours.  My daughter is still in the NICU and eats about every 3 1/2 -4 hours. 

Re: sleeping through the night

• Options
    12.5 months actual age and that was after dedicated sleep training.
  • Options
    Robbie would go about 5 hours at a time probably around 2 months adjusted, but it was hit or miss. We didn't get true sleeping through the night until after 6 months adjusted, he got a feeding tube and we did sleep training.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    DS was 2.5-3 months adjusted when he started going 7+ hours at night (which is my definition of sttn).
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Mine typically go 9-11 hours so definitely STTNand have been doing this since they were about 6 monhts actual (4.5 adjusted) .    I guess I am lucky!  I didn't need really need to sleep train them either.  They usually go down right away to sleep.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    Our doctor said some full term babies start to around 8 weeks and because ours were 10 weeks early it would be more like 18 weeks.  Well they started going longer stretches right around 8 weeks and were STTN for 10+ hours by the time they were 12 weeks actual, 2 weeks adjusted.  At that point they were over 8lbs. each.

• Options

Totally depends on your definition of STTN.  We didn't get to 11 hours of straight sleep until about 12.5 months actual, 9.5 months adjusted.  For the first 2 weeks at home (3 months actual, newborn adjusted) we had to wake him up to eat every 3 hours.  For the 2 weeks after that, the pedi said we coudl go to 4 hours, and then once he had been home a month, she said he could sleep as long as he wanted.  He slowly increased that time to about 6 hour stretches.  By about 8 months actual, 5 months adjusted  he slept for 8 hours (8p-4a) and everyone (pedi, neonatologist, developmental therapist, ect) said we couldn't ask for more.  He was waking up after 8 hours because he was hungry, so we would feed him and he would go back to sleep fairly easily.  We probably continued on that path longer than we would have with a full-term baby because we've been so focused on catch-up growth and getting him full of calories. 

Also, our developmental therapist said that sleep patterns become habit by the end of 3 months adjusted.  So if they are in a routine of waking up to eat overnight at that point, it will likely continue for some time after that.  My son had MSPI, so we had feeding issues/bloody stools/diarrhea/etc to work through during that time - which made trying to enforce a feeding/sleeping routine next to impossible.  Good luck.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"