LGBT Parenting
Options

nervous...

I am just over 6 weeks pg and it looks like we're having identical twins! We're still speechless! The problem is that I have been going in for ultrasounds every week to monitor everything. It is getting hard to keep explaining this to my employer so I have decided to tell my supervisor on Monday. We have a good relationship, but I am still nervous! Does anyone have any advice?

Re: nervous...

• Options

Just be honest.  I told my direct supervisor about my pregnancy this week.  I've been really sick for the past few weeks and have had to miss a little bit of work due to illness and a dr's appt.  I think that most bosses appreciate knowing what's going on.  I spoke with her in confidence, letting her know that I didn't want to tell the rest of my coworkers for another month and she understood and is respecting my privacy.

I really feel like a weight is lifted now that she knows, so that I don't have to worry about her jumping to conclusions about why I suddenly have so many dr's appointments, or don't seem like myself some days.

Best of luck! And congrats on your twins!!!

Mrs._F
    sahm ~ toddler breastfeeder ~ cloth diaperer ~ baby wearer

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options

I agree with Mrs._F but also wanted to add that employers have no legal right to now why you are seeing a doctor.  So if you really don't want to tell them you are pregnant you can tell them you have a medical condition that needs to be monitored regularly and that when you feel as though you have more info to share you will.

Good luck and congrats!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I agree with the PPs.   I had a lot of monitoring while trying TTC and then once I got pregnant (we also have twins!)  I didn't tell my supervisor until I ended up in the ED on Thanksgiving and wasn't able to work the following day (which was a HUGE deal.) So I ended up calling her at home and telling her.  It was quite funny - she said, "OH GOOD!  I thought something was really wrong!!"

Congratulations!!

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Options

Congratulations!! Smile

I ended up telling my immediate supervisor earlier than I wanted (8 wks), and it ended up working out for the best. I think before I got pregnant I had this idea that I would somehow be able to schedule most of my appointments on my day off (I have every other Friday off) or in the wee morning hours, but of course that is not happening. It's so much easier (for me, at least) to not have to make excuses about why I have to go to the Dr. Also, I feel like my boss is more understanding about pregnancy-related appointments than she would be about others (given the timing importance of these appts versus others, where I could move the appt if I had to).

I had grand plans of having all my ducks in a row before telling my boss (e.g. a plan for the time I'll be out on maternity leave, etc), but given that I told her earlier than I wanted to, that didn't happen. And it ended up being just fine. GL to you and let us know how it goes/went!

married 03/08/08 -- ttc with PCOS (dx 2005) & DS
    IUI #3 gave us the best 2nd anniv. gift ever: 2 babies! (born 03/09/10)
    Peanut and Little Man are getting so big! 2 years old already!
    finally blogging again at This Will Be: An Adventure
  • Options

I told my supervisor yesterday and it went so well! We were both having rough days so when we sat down she said "you better have something good to tell me." When I told her I was pregnant she screamed and gave me a big hug. She also said she thought maybe I was going to tell her I was pg, but didn't want to guess in case it was something else Big Smile It feels SO GOOD that she knows and that she was excited for us.Thank you, everyone, for your encouragement!

We had another ultrasound today and we saw both heartbeats...very cute! However, we had a scare because my partner saw a note saying they suspected mono/mono twins - where they share an amniotic sac. She was so freaked out that she called the doctor later to ask about what she saw and it sounds like they thought they might be mono/mono last week, but this week they thought they saw a line separating them. I am crossing my fingers that everything is okay!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"