Preemies
Options

xp- rec your formula for fussy/colicky/constipated babies?

DD has been crying a lot during feedings and has a ton of intestinal gas, DS is always constipated & we would like to try a new formula...they're currently on Enfamil Enfacare b/c it is 22 cals but since DD doesnt always eat a full feeding b/c of the crying/discomfort, it seems like it woudl be better for her to eat a full feeding of regular cal formula and not be so uncomfortable. DS has gained a ton of weight so I'm not worried about his cals at all.  (DD is already on meds for reflux but the crying is getting worse).I have heard good things about Gentlease & Alimentum, anyone have any rec's?Thanks!  ETA: I found a website that says to start w/ Good Start, then try the soy based ones, then Alimentum/hypo allergenic as final resort (very $$?). Any thoughts on this approach? 

Re: xp- rec your formula for fussy/colicky/constipated babies?

• Options

It really depends what's causing the gassiness. If it's cow's milk (which is the most common reason) then you'd be better off with soy (which, at least, is normally priced) but you can also try the hypoallergenic formulas. We made our rounds through all sort of things- Elecare (Super $$$ and hard to find), alimentum, nutramigen, nutramigen AA (also super $$), Enfamil AR, of course the usual neosure, prosobee. You get the idea.

In the end, the only thing that worked for Robbie was Good Starts. Turned out his problem wasn't milk as was suspected forever- it was corn syrup.

Can you ask your doctor for some free samples? That would at least give you the chance to see what might work w/o spending a buttload of money.

• Options
    when we moved off the neosure completely (to similac RS for reflux) and stopped the poly-vi-sol, DS's constipation improved dramatically. he went from pooping once every 4-5 days (with the help of prune juice/karo syrup) to pooping once every day without any help!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

When DS's reflux really kicked in, several people suggested trying Good Start Natural Cultures.  So, we changed to that and while it didn't do anything to help the reflux, we noticed that he was much more regular and less constipated and gassy.  So, we stayed with the GS.  You could give it a try and see if it helps. 

• Options

We tried every formula out there and what worked best for us was Parent's Choice Sensitive, which is Walmart's verson of Similac Sensitive.  But it had to be PC, the Similac had way too many bubbles in it.  Enfamil Gentlease and GS Natural Cultures were runners up.  But we had to put DS on Prevacid for his reflux. 

ETA:  As far as the approach you read, that sounds good, since the hypoallergenic are so expensive.  Just be aware that she could also be allergic to soy (as was the case for DS), so watch for any reaction when trying that. 

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

I know you posed this as a question but i am so thankful for the responses that came from it. My little boy was born at 36 weeks and developed PIE and was taken to NICU at St.Joe's in Syracuse,NY. He couldn't feed right away and I couldn't nurse him right away due to his lung condition. The hospital had Enfamil Enfacare too for the caloric issue. He is now on Enfamil soy due to tummy trouble but i am switching to Good Start Soy and was not as familiar with it. Soy to soy should not be a big deal but it's good to know that other moms have tried it and been successful!!

Thanks!

• Options
    DD is on alimentum which has helped a bit. ?She was originally placed on it because of reflux, but she was also gassy as well. ?I can't say that I have seen a HUGE difference in the spitting up or reflux symptoms (she is on prevacid as well), but things have gotten better. ?I would bet the farm though that it has more to do with just getting older and bigger than the formula change.
    BFP #1 - Chemical Pregnancy ----BFP#2 - DD born at 32 weeks-----BFP #3 Spontaneous Identical Twin Boys lost due to Missed M/C - on 7/1/11----BFP #4 Baby girl lost due to Trisomy 22 on 1/6/12 PGAL and PAL Always Welcome! Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"