Dallas-Fort Worth Babies

What health insurance do you have?

We have Blue Cross Blue Shield for our health insurance. DH called the other day to find out about adding the baby to the insurance and also to tell them we wanted to add maternity coverage (we don't have maternity coverage for this pregnancy, but we wanted to make sure we have it for the future). They told him that BCBS in Texas doesn't offer any form of maternity coverage!

Now I want to switch health insurance companies because I think that's crazy and I really don't want to pay out of pocket for all of my subsequent pregnancies. So, I was wondering if those of you that have health insurance with maternity coverage could tell me which provider you have? Also, if you don't have a problem with it, telling me how much you pay? If you don't want to tell me how much you pay, that's fine, just let me know the provider.

Thanks!

Re: What health insurance do you have?

• We have BCBS.  Maybe they were unclear on what you meant by "maternity coverage"?  The wording is odd.

We've been with them for years (including last year when I was preg. with DS).  They covered my preg. checkups/US's with my OB minus my co-pays and deductible.  They've been great.  We've had no problems.  "Maternity Coverage" wasn't something we had to add on....it's included in our general insurance plan.

• do you have individual insurance or group insurance through your (or your husband's) employer?
  • Loading the player...
  • this thread has a lot of information that may be useful to you
  • We've got coverage through Great West who is now a part of Cigna.  We have it through my husband's work.  I love Great West.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • When we had insurance through my work it was Texas True Choice. When I quit and we had to get insurance on our own, it was BCBS and it didn't cover maternity.
  • imagebnljane1988:

We have BCBS.  Maybe they were unclear on what you meant by "maternity coverage"?  The wording is odd.

We've been with them for years (including last year when I was preg. with DS).  They covered my preg. checkups/US's with my OB minus my co-pays and deductible.  They've been great.  We've had no problems.  "Maternity Coverage" wasn't something we had to add on....it's included in our general insurance plan.

same exact thing for me!!
  • imagebieanca:
    imagebnljane1988:

We have BCBS.  Maybe they were unclear on what you meant by "maternity coverage"?  The wording is odd.

Same here with BCBS. 

• imagekljs1978:
    imagebieanca:
    imagebnljane1988:

Same here with BCBS. 

Can y'all tell me how you got your insurance and/or how long you've had it? I know for a fact it doesn't cover my pregnancy because my doctor has tried turning in the claims and they deny all of them. I don't know how else we would phrase "maternity coverage" to make them think they cover it one way and not another? When the girl told my husband they don't have maternity coverage he questioned her about it a lot and she said they don't cover anything like that in Texas. I really like BCBS and this was disappointing to me. My mom is a teacher and has it through her school and they also don't have maternity coverage (she asked a lady who just had a baby), so I know it's not just my plan.

For the pp who asked above, we have the insurance individually. My husband's law firm doesn't provide insurance coverage.

• imageaggielauren:
    imagekljs1978:
    imagebieanca:
    imagebnljane1988:

Same here with BCBS. 

Can y'all tell me how you got your insurance and/or how long you've had it? I know for a fact it doesn't cover my pregnancy because my doctor has tried turning in the claims and they deny all of them. I don't know how else we would phrase "maternity coverage" to make them think they cover it one way and not another? When the girl told my husband they don't have maternity coverage he questioned her about it a lot and she said they don't cover anything like that in Texas. I really like BCBS and this was disappointing to me. My mom is a teacher and has it through her school and they also don't have maternity coverage (she asked a lady who just had a baby), so I know it's not just my plan.

For the pp who asked above, we have the insurance individually. My husband's law firm doesn't provide insurance coverage.

Hmm.  That may be the difference....individual coverage vs. through a company.  Stupid, but it's the only thing that seems to fit.  Our coverage is through our jobs (corp.)

• imagekljs1978:
    imagebieanca:
    imagebnljane1988:

Same here with BCBS. 

We actually worked at the same place when I had DS! 

• I teach here in Texas and have BCBS.  They covered my pregnancy and delivery also except for ded. and copay as stated earlier.  Are you sure your doctor is in the network? I know BCBS sticks to only covering doctors in the network. I know that right before I had my baby, some other teachers in my district were on BCBS with certain doctors in Denison and the doctors decided to drop BCBS.  BCBS wouldn't continue covering them as the doctors were out of network.

I know that doesn't help any.

• It all depends on group coverage vs. individual policy. Then it depends on whether your group chooses to cover maternity. 

BCBS does not offer individual maternity policies. 

I will tell you this - we do not have maternity insurance and I do not qualify for maternity insurance. 

For Ella Claire this is the breakdown of our bill (for a c-section and a 3 night stay)

Doctor - 3500

Perinatologist - 2 high risk sonograms - we opted out of the rest as we did not think they were necessary - $900 each - 1800

Epidural - 2500

My Hospital Bill - 9500

Her Hospital Bill - 6000

There were other odds and ends like lab work, and such. We estimate the final bill to be around 30,000.  

• My main policy is through my employer and is Humana. They do offer maternity coverage for my policy, but not sure how they handle individual policies. I've heard it's difficult to find individual policies that actually do offer maternity coverage, but I have no experience with that. I also have supplemental coverage on my husband's policy offered through his employer which is BCBS and they have covered a % over what Humana does on all of my medical care including maternity related costs. 
  • there are virtually no individual policies that offer maternity coverage - some companies say that they do but they end up not being worth it because they cover so little - check out the link that i posted above - there was a guy on that board that found a company that offers some coverage, but again there were several requirements that had to be met and it still wasn't anywhere near full coverage
  • I am having the same issues! I had Assurant Health which did offer maternity but the deductable was $10,000! I hated my plan in more ways than one. Anyways, I am actually applying with BCBS and I have talked alot to the agent and she said they do not cover maternity on individual plans so she recommends just saving up. She did say that there is a way to get it, but it's really expensive so she told me to let her know when I might start trying for a baby and we could switch to that. I don't know, all I know is that this insurance stuff has been stressful on me!
  • I'm using Assurant Health individual insurance- my plan does include maternity and our deductible is $5000.
  • Good grief!! Does anyone know WHY individual plans either don't offer that coverage or charge a crazy rate/deductible?  That's ridiculous!

(Thanking my lucky stars for our corp. insurance plan)

• Really Chefheather? If you don't mind me asking, is your premium pretty high? I think I just got the wrong plan. I was paying alot, plus I didn't feel like I was getting much coverage on Drs. visits etc... It sounds like you have a pretty good plan!
  • I have insurance through my employer and it's with PHCS. I don't know anything about their individual policies, but our maternity plan is outstanding. A one-time $150 fee to your OB (for all the pregnancy visits, sonograms, etc), $50 deductible and 10% toward in-network hospital/anesthesiologist/other doctor charges.  
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Well, it looks like we are going to just have to pay out of pocket for the coming pregnancies. That's such a pain! Even the ones mentioned above with a $5,000 deductible don't really seem worth it to me, because we would still have had to pay our entire doctor bill out of pocket with that deductible.

Our doctor is $2700 and the hospital bill is going to be approximately $9000-$9500 for mom and baby (according to the people at the hospital we talked to). Everyone has given at least a 30% discount for us not having maternity coverage.

For someone that asked above, our doctor was originally out of network but now he is in-network and they still won't cover anything.

Thanks for y'all's help!

• imagelabellagirl:
    there are virtually no individual policies that offer maternity coverage - some companies say that they do but they end up not being worth it because they cover so little - check out the link that i posted above - there was a guy on that board that found a company that offers some coverage, but again there were several requirements that had to be met and it still wasn't anywhere near full coverage

I looked at that. Thanks for posting it!

• Call 1-800-Thanks-Al .... seriously! They have been great to work with and have found us great insurance for a super affordable price for the 5 of us!
  • imagecolesgirl:
    Really Chefheather? If you don't mind me asking, is your premium pretty high? I think I just got the wrong plan. I was paying alot, plus I didn't feel like I was getting much coverage on Drs. visits etc... It sounds like you have a pretty good plan!

I think the premium is around $220/month. It's WAY cheaper than putting me on DH's work plan (closer to $400/month) and the coverage seems just as good. There is a separate deductible for c-sections, but for all the appts, ultrasounds and a standard delivery, the deductible is $5000.

• imageprlmrg08:
    Call 1-800-Thanks-Al .... seriously! They have been great to work with and have found us great insurance for a super affordable price for the 5 of us!

Thanks! I have DH calling them today!

• imageaggielauren:
    imagekljs1978:
    imagebieanca:
    imagebnljane1988:

Same here with BCBS. 

What BCBS means is they don't offer maternity coverage for individual policies, because it's too expensive for them. If they did, people would buy insurance, get pregnant, and they'd be left with the bill. Useful to the consumer, but not good business. Last year when we had individual policies I asked my insurance broker about it and he said that virtually no companies offer maternity coverage for individuals, and the ones that did were so expensive that it's cheaper to pay out of pocket. I'm probably not much help, but at least you won't spend hours trying to find something that doesn't exist.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • imageaggielauren:

Our doctor is $2700 and the hospital bill is going to be approximately $9000-$9500 for mom and baby (according to the people at the hospital we talked to). Everyone has given at least a 30% discount for us not having maternity coverage.

I've read a lot about hospitals reducing your bill if you're uninsured (or maybe if you don't have maternity insurance?). One of my recent claims wasn't processed correctly, and when the insurance denied the claim, the hospital ended up knocking a LOT off - probably 75% because they considered me as uninsured. Maybe you could get even more charges (more than the 30%) knocked off after the baby is born?

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imagemandarod:
    imageaggielauren:

I've read a lot about hospitals reducing your bill if you're uninsured (or maybe if you don't have maternity insurance?). One of my recent claims wasn't processed correctly, and when the insurance denied the claim, the hospital ended up knocking a LOT off - probably 75% because they considered me as uninsured. Maybe you could get even more charges (more than the 30%) knocked off after the baby is born?

I'll probably try that. Thanks for letting me know!

• imageChefHeather82:

imagecolesgirl:
    Really Chefheather? If you don't mind me asking, is your premium pretty high? I think I just got the wrong plan. I was paying alot, plus I didn't feel like I was getting much coverage on Drs. visits etc... It sounds like you have a pretty good plan!

I think the premium is around $220/month. It's WAY cheaper than putting me on DH's work plan (closer to $400/month) and the coverage seems just as good. There is a separate deductible for c-sections, but for all the appts, ultrasounds and a standard delivery, the deductible is $5000.

Much better than my plan! I was actually paying more than you each month too! Oh well, you live and you learn. Thanks! :)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"