Houston Babies
Options

Another Potty Training Question

Has anyone potty trained a kid that still poops multiple times a day?  Orion poops a minimum of 3 times a day, always has.  Saturday morning we were at the park and he went twice in the 2 hour period we were there.  The park didn't have a restroom and I don't know what we would have done.  I know you stick close to home when you're p/ting but what about later?  Will he get better at holding it or stop going so often?

Re: Another Potty Training Question

• Options

For me, it seems that potty training is just as much about training the parent as it is about training the child.  You adapt to the new way of doing things and as a mother, you'll find yourself strategizing and troubleshooting the potty situation just as you would any other parenting task.  So if he doesn't poop before a park visit, you may find yourself thinking about which parks have bathrooms and which don't, then choosing the park that has a bathroom.

CharlotteL can tell you more about what she does, but I think she carries a little portable potty in the back of her vehicle for just these situations.  Another friend recommended this to me also.  You can line it with a trashbag that you then just pull out and throw away.

Sarah can also be a multiple times a day pooper too, although maybe not *quite* to the degree as you described with Orion.  Orion will eventually learn to hold it and let you know when he's got to go.  Another thing that helps is to dress them in clothes with elastic waists.  For now, we're forgoing zippers and buttons until she's older and can manage all that by herself at school.

I try to get Sarah to poop before school but it doesn't always happen.  Amazingly, she now holds it ALL DAY and will go when she comes home.  I've gotten pretty intuitive about it and just try to suggest that she try to poop when I feel like she hasn't gone in a while.  After meals is a great time because eating always gets her little system going.

I highly recommend the book Everyone Poops for helping with that part of potty training.  Sarah adored that book.  She asked to read it every time I put her on the potty to poop.  Worked like a charm.

• Options
    Oooh, I hadn't even thought about the portable potty.  Genius!  
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Owen got a little constipated at first when training (which had never been an issue before) and then went #2 exclusively in his undies for a couple of weeks (after getting #1 within a couple of days).  It took almost 2 weeks from when we started training until he was regularly going both #1 and #2 in the potty for everything with accidents only every few days.

He went from being a 2-3 times a day pooper in diapers to a 1-2 times a day pooper in the potty.  We are out and about a lot, but he almost always saves poop for home.  I do keep the Potette travel potty in my car, just in case.  We have a friend whose little girl pooped at the park every day for weeks after training, so I got the travel potty way before training. ;)

• Options

When E started PTing she was a 2x/day scheduled pooper. But now she sometimes poops 4 or more times a day!! Interestingly, she does seem to save it for home, almost never poops at school and rarely when we're out in public. I think they definitely get better about holding it.

I have a $3.99 ikea potty in my car. We have used it in MANY parking lots (I started doing this after the time I RAN across the grocery store parking lot while 4mo pg carrying 30lb toddler who was screaming "I need to peepee!!!!!!" All of a sudden sitting my kid on a potty in a parking lot seemed like a good idea.) She has only ever pooped on the potty chair in a parking lot once. We dumped it in a grocery bag and put it in a dumpster.

- Jena
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"