D.C. Area Babies

Fairfax Inova- Private vs. Semi-Private

DH and I are filling our pre-admission form and I was wondering approx. how much difference it was between a private vs. a semi-private postpartum room.  I tried to call the ward (since they have cancelled all tours due to the flu season) and they said call my insurance co.  So I called them and they said it depended on the claim filled, but they would not cover any of the difference between the rooms.

If I was doing a regular delivery, then I wouldn't care.  But, I have to have a c-section, which means more days postpartum and more $ if I go private.  I'm just wondering approx. how much my comfort is worth to me? :)  Any info would be greatly appreciated!  Thanks ladies!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Fairfax Inova- Private vs. Semi-Private

• It's $100/night and I think it is completely worth it.  If you are in a semi-private room your DH cannot spend the night with you.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker TTC #1 Cycle #18 m/c Jan. 9, 2007, chemical pg May 4, 2007, methotrexate shot Oct. 5, 2007--m/c Oct. 9, 2007, IUI Nov. 17, 2007 It worked! beta 11/30 & 12/6 TTC #2 Cycle #5 IUI July 20, 2009 -BFN 8-3-09 Cycle #6 IUI August 17, 2009-BFP! 8-31-09, beta 9-1-09, 9-8-09, saw the H/B 9-22-09 EDD 5-10-10
  • I had 2 babies (both c-sections) there in 2007 and 2008.

Yes you will care either way. Private rooms your husband can stay with you. Semi-private are divided by curtains and there are people in and out of the room all the time. That section of the PP floor had kids running around and smelled like McDonalds. I saw some rooms with 5-6 people sitting around the rooms. Disgusting.

• Loading the player...
  • I just wanted to say again what the others have said:  The private room is absolutely worth it.  We had a great experience at Inova Fairfax, but our experience would have been VERY different in a semi-private room. 

The hospital charges an extra $100/night for the private room.  We were there four nights ($400) after my c-section.  (We had an extra night b/c DS had jaundice.)

• imageLMH1209:

(We had an extra night b/c DS had jaundice.)

We stayed the extra night because they allowed it, lol...

• If you are concerned about price - also know that since you are giving birth during flu season, the amount of visitors are going to be strictly limited in the maternity ward.  My OB gave me the letter from Fairfax Hospital yesterday and they are only allowing in husband (or birth partner) and grandparents.  So if you do only get a semi-private room, there won't be any kids or anything running around.  That being said, I'm still pretty sure your husband wouldn't be able to spend the night!  Good luck!
  • imageNowDNAtoo:
    It's $100/night and I think it is completely worth it.  If you are in a semi-private room your DH cannot spend the night with you.

Ditto this.  I had 2 c-sections at Inova & both times had a private room.  Another point to consider -- they encourage you to have the baby with you 100% of the time, which is great unless you have a semi-private room. Then you risk another baby crying & keeping you & your baby awake.

• We paid for the private room.  I think it was worth it.  With the hospital staff constantly coming in and out for just me, I can't imagine how disrupted rest would be in semi private room.  I was so tired by the time I left the hospital.  Don't forget, even if your insurance doesn't cover it, you can pay for that $100/night from your HSA.

• What others have said. I would have been completly miserable if I had a semi private room. Well worth the money.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"