Preemies
Options

Anyone have issues with slow intestine motility?

James had his surgery to put his ostomy back together a couple of weeks ago and since they started feeds back they are saying he is having intestine motility issues. i guess his belly just isnt moving things along as fast as they want them to. they have done KUB's every day and a barium swallow and the barium enema tomorrow. anyone have any slow motility issues? he is ready to come home but this is keeping him in the NICU. it has been almost 4 months allready and i am ready for it to be over!!!! tia!

Re: Anyone have issues with slow intestine motility?

• Options
    We had that issue for a little while so they switched DS from regular formula to Pregestimil. It's a pre-digested formula so it absorbed easily in the intestines so the bowels don't have to work so hard. We slowly weaned him off of it a few months after surgery.
  • Options

We did! Max literally didn't poop on his own (without a suppository) until he was 2.5 months old! They put him on erythromycin (sp?) and it got him going, then they switched him to Reglan, which he was on for almost a year.

His neonatologist literally did a dance standing by his isolette when he pooped for the first time! LOL Because the erythromycin is an antibiotic, they can only use it for short term, but for Max, once it got started, he was good to go!

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I just want to share that I remember waiting for that first poop post-ostomy reversal.  I was waiting on pins and needles, but it came a few days later.  Just out of curiosity, are you pumping for your LO?  What is he eating, formula-wise, if not?  What treatment options has the team offered to resolve the issue?  Bless your heart for your long, rough journey for the past 4 months.  I am sending you good energy, and good pooping vibes.  We used to call it "making turtles."
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"