Preemies

Anyone deliver at 34 weeks?

Were you able to bring LO home right away or did they need assistance from the NICU. I just went in for PTL which they stopped and they said they wouldnt stop it after this week so I was just wondering what my chances are that LO will be able to breathe on his own and not need a feeding tube. Thanks alot! Best wishes!
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Anyone deliver at 34 weeks?

• DS was born at 34 weeks 1 day.  He spent 22 days in the NICU with typical 34 weeker issues.  Breathing problems, feeding issues and bradys/desats.  I didn't have a chance to get steroid shots for his lungs so if you can get those they seem to help.  All babies do differently too... I've heard of a few 34 weekers going straight home but I think most have NICU time.

GL!

• I delivered at 34 weeks and my DS was in the NICU for 2 weeks. He did need help breathing and feeding. I was in preterm labor at 26 weeks and they took me off the med at 34 weeks... went into active labor immediately.  I would see if you could wait until 36 weeks. The longer they bake the better. I hope everything goes well for you.

A side note... my son had a rough beginning but is developmentally at his actual age.

• Loading the player...
  • My baby was in the NICU for 8 days as a grower and feeder.  She was breathing on her own.  Her big problem was regulating temperature.  She was on the NG tube for one day, because she was burning too many calories trying to stay warm and eat.  She was under the lights for one day also for jaundice.  Good luck!
  • both my boys were born @ 34 weeks. #1 spent 10 days in the NICU b/c he had fluid in his lungs, some feeding issues (was on a fedding tube for a few days) and trouble maintaining his temp. #2 spent 7 days there w/ jaundice and body temp issues.
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Ask about getting steroid shots. I recieved them at 33w1d and 33w2d because we knew there was a chance they would have to induce labor soon due to IUGR. My girls were born at 34w5d and each spent 10 days in the NICU. They were breathing room air immediately and that is because I recieved the steroids. They spent those 10 days just learning how to eat and gaining weight. Elise was less than 4lbs when she came home from the hospital and Ana was 5 1/2 lbs. They are meeting all of their milestones for their actual age and are moving up the growth charts fast!

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Katie was born right at 34 weeks, and she was in the hospital for 10 days.  She had body temp, learning to eat and apnea issues.
  • Lily was a 34 week, 4 day baby.  She spent 13 days in the NICU soley for severe jaundice that rebounded 4 times.  She never required any sort of breathing help and never needed a feeding tube or anything like that.  She never needed an isolette or warmer either...straight to an open air crib.

Our NICU didn't have a special care nursery or a "step down" so it was basically all or nothing.

We had the steroid shots at 27 weeks though, which I think really helped.

3/22/09 - Lily Grace, born at 33 weeks, 2 days
    9/12/14 - M/C @ 7 weeks, 1 day (ectopic)

• My 34w6d baby spent 14 days in the NICU. She had sepsis (bloodstream infection). Her first night she had low blood pressure and low blood sugar. She required CPAP the first night, and NG tube for a few days, had jaundice issues. Her other issues were maintaining temp, learning to eat, and gaining weight. She had to have 14 days of antibiotics. There was no other option for her. She did receive steriod shots at 33 weeks when i went into PTL. 
  • DD was born at 34w2d.  She didn't have steroid shots, but had no trouble with breathing.  She was in the NICU for 23 days as a feeder/grower - learning how to take her food in by mouth.  She's 2 months now and is doing great! 
  • Benjamin was born at 34 weeks.  He was in the NICU for 9 days.  He was there for jaundice, slight breathing problems for the first day, and then learning to eat.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"