South Florida Babies

baby shower for #2?

My sister keeps telling me she wants to throw me another shower- smaller, obviously, then last time.  But, I don't know... I feel a little uncomfortable.  I don't remember if my cousins had showers for their 2s and 3s, and I don't want it to look tacky, like I'm the one askign for gifts.  I would love to have a small party as a celebration for the new baby, I think that would be great.  My sister keeps saying that a shower is fine the second time around.  What did you guys do?  I mean, we don't need clothes or any "big" stuff like we did the 1st time around, so it's not like I would really need to register or anything. (lol the only reason i'm actually creating registries is for the completion cert. at pbk!!  they never send out coupons, so i may as well register for stuff i'm going to buy and then buy it all for 10% off!)

Re: baby shower for #2?

• Yes, in my family we celebrate each birth with a shower or lunch and small registry :)

I say go for it!  

• imageMRS.IHEARTMIKE:

Yes, in my family we celebrate each birth with a shower or lunch and small registry :)

I say go for it!  

this!

imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • If you go on the other boards, they'll tell you it's tacky and a big no-no. In Miami, it's totally ok to have a shower for a second (or third). If you're uncomfortable doing a shower, suggest a sprinkle (like a shower, but smaller). Or, you can do a diaper party or a book party where each guest brings the baby their favorite childhood story.
  • I've seen showers for 2nd and 3rd, and even 4th children, however they were all to a smaller scale.  I would prob do something very low key and more dainty... maybe like a tea party... and recommend that guests bring diapers, or books, if desire to bring a gift.

I agree w/ pp, celebrate the upcoming birth!

-- Jackie
    "If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane" -- Jimmy Buffett Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I am with you. I am uncomfortable with the idea of another shower for a second pregnancy if they are close together and the same sex. However, my family does not agree with that just like yours doesn't. I would not register and I would request they keep it small. JMHO!

I think some people just want an excuse to throw a party. LOL. My MIL about had a heart attack when she learned that I didn't want another one. My husband did not even take my side.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I felt the same way, but my mom and fam is insistent on it.  They say it's not fair and the 2nd child should be celebrated the same way we did the 1st..of course the registry is all little tiny stuff (which I have yet to do and she keeps harrassing me about it).
  • They were just discussing this on the baby shower board and I'll tell you the same thing I said there. In Miami everyone has a shower for every baby! Don't even worry about the gifts or looking like you're asking for stuff. I really think it's just about congratulating you and welcoming the baby. If you feel really weird don't include a registry card and let people decide for themselves whether to buy something. I'm going to guess most will because everyone loves celebrating a new baby. My mom started asking about throwing me a shower since the first month I think, lol. It's for the fun!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I had a shower for Max, but my boys were 3 years apart, so I didnt have anything that I needed. My mom and sister were insistent on doing it for me, so I let them have at it. Sometimes a celebration after the baby's birth is a good idea too, more like a homecoming than a baby shower.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Because they're so close in age and they are both girls, I would also be hesitant. If your family insists, I would go along with it, but just like the other girls said, keep it small. Maybe don't send out registry info with the invite like you would with the first and let it go through word of mouth. If someone asks you what you want, mention that you have a small registry set up at PBK, or that necessities like diapers and wipes would be greatly appreciated.

If you were having a boy, or if more time had passed since your first was born, I would say to just have a normal baby shower close to what you had with your first!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • imageSouthMiamiWifeJen:

Because they're so close in age and they are both girls, I would also be hesitant. If your family insists, I would go along with it, but just like the other girls said, keep it small. Maybe don't send out registry info with the invite like you would with the first and let it go through word of mouth. If someone asks you what you want, mention that you have a small registry set up at PBK, or that necessities like diapers and wipes would be greatly appreciated.

If you were having a boy, or if more time had passed since your first was born, I would say to just have a normal baby shower close to what you had with your first!

I feel the same way!

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers image
    BFP #3: 01/28/12, EDD: 09/23/12, MMC (BO), D&C 2/16/12 at 6.5 wks
    BFP #4: 05/23/12, EDD: 01/31/12, Early MC at 5 wks

RPL Workup: + LPD (7DPO Prog = 7.8, Endometrial Bx = out of phase)
    Elevated Alpha 2-glycoprotein IgA and antiphosphatidylserine IgM -->
    Hematologist said not to worry and no need for treatment!

Dx: LPD
    Cycle #1(08/2012): Clomid 50 mg CD3-7, Ovidrel CD13 + Progesterone = It worked!
    BFP #5 on 09/10/12 (11 DPO). HCG #1 @ 14DPO = 131.6 HCG #2 @ 16DPO = 509
    EDD: 05/23/2013 Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• imageAlbah:
    imageSouthMiamiWifeJen:

Because they're so close in age and they are both girls, I would also be hesitant. If your family insists, I would go along with it, but just like the other girls said, keep it small. Maybe don't send out registry info with the invite like you would with the first and let it go through word of mouth. If someone asks you what you want, mention that you have a small registry set up at PBK, or that necessities like diapers and wipes would be greatly appreciated.

I feel the same way!

see, me too! lol 

however, since they ARE so close in age, i won't need any clothes or baby toys.  But we ARE going to have to get a 2nd crib, another stroller and  a double stroller.  but those are things we can get ourselves.  other than that, there is nothing else we need.  like i said, i'm registering for ourselves :-D  completion coupons are great!!

• imageAlbah:
    imageSouthMiamiWifeJen:

I feel the same way!

I never sent out cards with my baby shower or bridal shower, though.  My sister refused lol

• Maybe tactfully, through word of mouth, you can just have your sis, mom, etc. tell people when they ask that what you guys really need are big ticket items as well as things like diapers and wipes, and thus gift cards would be the best option.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • I'd feel weird about it too because they're both girls, etc. But do something small:) You know there's always something you need or something you thought "I'm gonna get ____ for #2 for sure!". So yeah, even if it's through word of mouth, I'd do something small.
    imageLilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"