Special Needs
Options

are there any OT's here?

I need help/have some ?'s re: Calebs feeding issues...

tia

jessica

Re: are there any OT's here?

• Options

Hi thanks for replying..

C refuses to feed himself. He can do it, and we had about a 2 week period where after dinner I would put a bowl in front of him, a treat usually like pudding and he would have at it, albeit messy, but he did it..

now he just flat out refuses to hold a spoon or a fork..

Most of this ties into the fact that we are having MAJOR throwing issues.. It was bad, then got a little better and now its worse and out of control.. He just throws EVERYTHING.. including food.

I cant put a plate of food in front of him b.c it will go flying. I have to put one piece at a time in front of him and even then sometime he will throw it.

I feel like I have tried everything. I react, I dont react, time out, take the item away, put the TOY in time out.. he's just not getting it..

MH and I are getting so fed up with it that we DREAD meal time with this kid.. I am not the kind of mom to say "if you dont do it you dont eat" I just cant do it... 

PLEASE help me!!

• Options

thank you for replying..

we do not have an OT yet.. He is due for his IFSP and even then they dont know if we will be auth for it b/c he doesnt have a significant delay (C has Downs BTW and is 2!)

So I am losing my mind until we find out!

None of his therapists really feel that it is a sensory issue.. 

I have tried putting him in time out, though admittedly not consistently enough I am sure, b/c I dont think he gets why he is there..It never makes him upset. He is perfectly content sitting in time out and couldnt care less.

he will for the most part eat when we feed him. He does have his moments where he'll fight us. Bite the spoon/fork, spit food out, squirm around so we cant get food in his mouth..

I think maybe I'll try putting him in a different part of the room to eat. That sounds like it may work (for a little while anyway! lol)

thank you so much for your suggestions! 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"