Special Needs
Options

Is a speech delay ever JUST a speech delay?

My ds is 27 months. ?He has about 20 or 30 ?words he says regularly and probably 80ish he says on occasion. ?He is starting to put words together but it is a slow process. ?He gets 1 hour of speech a week. ?His speech therapist is always saying how great his progress has been since he is showing more interest in copying and repeating words and sounds. ?They have expressed that they (the 2 different therapists) don't feel he has any other issues such as apraxia. ?He was evaluated for autism during his initial eval and didn't have any red flags there. ?He is super social and follows simple directions but his receptive and expressive language are both behind. ?He is making progress in both areas but still definitely behind.?

I just wonder if it is ever just a speech delay or if there always other issues that will be uncovered. ?Another bit of history is that my DH didn't say a single word until he was 2 and then slowly picked up and was talking on track by 3. ?I don't know if that comes into play at all. ?

Does anyone have any tips that seemed to work for them with their late talker. ?I am always open to advice, tips or tricks.

tia.?

Re: Is a speech delay ever JUST a speech delay?

• Options

Yes, it absolutely can be just a speech delay!?

One of my very best friends has a 28 month old who, at 18 months, had absolutely no words whatsoever. At his 18 month check up, the doctor referred her for services and Jack started having weekly Easter Seals visits. They worked on his speech and now he's a total chatterbox and completely caught up and typical.

I would ask my pedi the next time I went to see what she recommends. Good luck!?

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Yes, it can definitely just be a speech delay!

One of our best friends has a little boy who didn't really start speaking at all until he was 2 years old, and my little brother was the same way.  For our friends little boy, he started speech therapy and now, a year later, will talk your leg off if you'd let him :-). 

My little brother was the same way.  Only in his case, it was a matter of him not being able to hear.  He had several ear infections as a baby and got tubes put in around 2 years.  After he got tubes it was like night and day and he started talking within weeks.  He is a perfectly developed, brilliant teenager today!

Has your son been evaluated for hearing loss?

TTC since January 2010
    BFP 5/9/10. U/S - no heartbeat 6/2/10 (7 weeks). Induced miscarriage 6/7/10.
    Chemical pregnancies 12/2/10, 1/3/11, and 2/7/11.
    dx: RPL due to poor quality uterine lining; begin progesterone January 2011
    BFP 3/10/11. EDD 11/19/11. E arrived 11/15/11!

Loss Blog | Life Blog

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Yes yes yes most definitely!  I'm a pediatric SLP and have seen countless kids in the 3 1/2 years I've been working in this field who have JUST had a speech delay.   While delays in speech/language CAN be due to other disorders, this is NOT always the case by a long shot.
  • Options
    imageanonomity:

?Has your son been evaluated for hearing loss?

He was 6 months ago and they found that he had mild to moderate hearing loss in one area of one of his ears. ?It would make it more difficult for him to hear ch and k type of sounds. ?However, they said it was adequate hearing for speech and language development. ?We are bringing him back on monday for his 6 month follow up. ?I have always thought his speech sounds like he doesn't hear very well. ? We will see what they say this time. ?I am sure he will give a more accurate test since he is a little older.?

Thanks for the encouragement. ?

• Options
    imageanonomity:

He was 6 months ago and they found that he had mild to moderate hearing loss in one area of one of his ears. ?It would make it more difficult for him to hear ch and k type of sounds. ?However, they said it was adequate hearing for speech and language development. ?We are bringing him back on monday for his 6 month follow up. ?I have always thought his speech sounds like he doesn't hear very well. ? We will see what they say this time. ?I am sure he will give a more accurate test since he is a little older.?

• Options
    imageanonomity:

• Options
    Yes, absolutley so please try and not to make yourself nuts.  I was the same way.  My DS who is now almost 4 got EI for speech at 2.  He had about 50 to 80 words but didn't start putting two words together and such.  He didn't qualify so I went through insurance up until he turned 3 and then I fought it through the school district.  I thought maybe it was apraxia because reading on line I thought he had some of the markers and then the same with autistic.  You will make yourself crazy.  Anyway, my DS is fine and a complete chatterbox!  I am sure your son will be fine.
  • Options
    Absolutely!!!!! My DD had a few words at 2, but understood everything, and followed directions well. Her receptive language was age appropriate, but her expressive was evaluated at a 9 month old level. Now, 2 1/2 years later, and after therapy she is a happy, very talkative kindergarten student! She is all caught up and doing great! My husband was a very late talker too...didn't speak till he was 3....there must be a genetic factor.
  • Options
    Yep. A friend has a little boy who needed tubes for ear infections.... he was in speech for about a year after - totally caught up and he's doing great now.  I don't know his degree of hearing loss at the time of all the infections. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imagebebemama:
    imageanonomity:

Has your son been evaluated for hearing loss?

He was 6 months ago and they found that he had mild to moderate hearing loss in one area of one of his ears.  It would make it more difficult for him to hear ch and k type of sounds.  However, they said it was adequate hearing for speech and language development.  We are bringing him back on monday for his 6 month follow up.  I have always thought his speech sounds like he doesn't hear very well.   We will see what they say this time.  I am sure he will give a more accurate test since he is a little older. 

Thanks for the encouragement.  

Yeah, I'm definitely no doctor, but I would not be surprised if the hearing loss has something to do with his speech delay.  Hopefully you can get more information at his upcoming checkups.  

Good luck!  I'm sure he'll be fine Big Smile

TTC since January 2010
    BFP 5/9/10. U/S - no heartbeat 6/2/10 (7 weeks). Induced miscarriage 6/7/10.
    Chemical pregnancies 12/2/10, 1/3/11, and 2/7/11.
    dx: RPL due to poor quality uterine lining; begin progesterone January 2011
    BFP 3/10/11. EDD 11/19/11. E arrived 11/15/11!

Loss Blog | Life Blog

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"